Search the forum,

Discuss kitchen fit advice for granite weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi all,i have a kit fit coming up and customer is gettin ggranite installed as his worktop

i am tiling the floor with polished porc 600s and currently the floor is floorboards which meet a concrete ut room floor also which will be screeded

would you advise i strengthen the floor 1st before laying ply then cement boards to cope with the weight of this granite thats being installed by adding dwangs or noggins as you call them dan saff:drool5:

many tas

S

SandyFloor

I don't think you'd need to prep any more than you would for tiling. Worktop are about 45kg per linear metre which is less load than a person would put on the floor plus it's a dead load in that it's stationary and evenly spread. Maybe take the ply to the wall under the units.

S

Stewart

If units around the perimeter then i would just prep as normal, but if there's a large island going in I would recommend some extra support. Job i did in December had a very large one in middle of floor and couldn't take the weight. Island has been removed and floor ripped up to strengthen. This is after i recommended doing this before hand to the installers and the customers. It's a costly 6 grand mistake to rectify! On the bright side I get paid to re-do floor again.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
cheers guys,we have a breakfast bar jutting out into main floor not quite an island but it will have an over hang so quite a big bit of granite going there,mauybe best of i strengthen 1st then as im the contractor

Reply to kitchen fit advice for granite weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen