Currently reading:
Is it ok to leave SBR slurry to set before tiling...?.

Search the forum,

Discuss Is it ok to leave SBR slurry to set before tiling...?. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

Concrete floor with some unremovable bitumen..

Ive just spoke to a mapei tech guy who says its best to lay some mapei 2 part latex plan before tiling. He did also say the bitumen MUST come off, (ive got alot of it off - no loose stuff left)...

He says to use mapei eco prime first, but the stuff is well expensive.......

So will the sbr slurry be ok on top of the substrate prior to the latex plan ?

Thanks

R

RDTiling

I found this thread and it seems to answer my question, however I thought I'd double check.

I had advice last week from Geoff of Plan Tec Tiling (Thanks again Geoff!) regarding an sbr slurry coat over a grano floor. The floor looked ok (level wise) but after getting my straight edge out there are a couple of areas that could do with levelling, so I'm proposing to apply weber SLC over the whole area.

is it still correct to let the slurry mix fully set before apply the SLC? It's looking like I'll be putting the slurry coat down on Friday and then looking to put the SLC either Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

i usually use weber for most things but my local CTD don't seem to stock webers sbr, so will probably end up using Bal Bond SBR.

Thanks all,
Rich

R

RDTiling

Thanks again [MENTION=13257]Plan Tec Tiling[/MENTION]

Well, I was down tonight and went at the floor with a grinder and a diamond cupped blade to try and remove the paint.

the floor is even more uneven than i thought so the grinder has had better results on some areas than others. See pic attached. There is now definitely a need to SLC the floor before I tile it.

The grey areas are back to the grano, the red bits are where the paint is being very stubborn. Should it be okay to sbr over things as they are and then apply SLC or should I try and get more of the paint off?

Rich

Attachments

• image.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Is it ok to leave SBR slurry to set before tiling...?. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.