Search the forum,

Discuss Info on Weber.Col anhydrite 2 Gypsum based adhesive... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

Hello all, some of you will know that I managed to get my hands on some of the Weber gypsum based adhesive last week (many thanks to Ajax123). Thought I would put up some info given to me by Weber as Im starting to see more and more anhydrite screeds and VERY few people seem to know how to work with it or the materials on the market suitable for the job and as the bags are in french thought it might be a help. I hope this post will go with the many others on here regarding anhydrite screeds and help people avoid disasters.

Weber.Col Anhydrite 2

A rapid-setting, flexible, lightweight tile adhesive for anhydrite screeds.
It is used to fix creamic, porcelain and natural stone tiles to anhydrite screeds.

Technical data

• Bed thickness 3mm-6mm
  • Coverage (approx.) 2.7kg/m2 (solid bed 3mm thick)
  • Open time 20 minutes
  • Working time (pot life) 1 hour
  • Set time 4 hours-light foot traffic
  • Temprerature resistance -30 degrees to 70 degrees
  • Water addition 6 - 6.5 litres per 15kg bag
Note: Setting times quoted at 20 degrees and are temerature and humidity dependant

Uses
  • Interior
  • Floors
  • Heated floors
Constraints
  • Not recommended for tiling onto substrates other than anhydrite screeds.
  • Not recommended for tiles with resin backs.
  • Not recommended for areas that may become wet.
Features and benefits
  • Can be used as a pourable adhesive
  • Lightweight for easy transportation and application
  • 15kg of Weber.col anhydrite 2 covers the same area as 25kg of traditional adhesive
  • Flexible for heated screeds
  • Suitable for tiles up to 600mm x 600mm
  • Ready for light foot traffic after 4 hours
Preparation
  • Ensure that all surfaces are clean, dry, sound and free from dust, grease or any contaminating barrier.
  • Remove any laitance by sanding and make good any unsound areas.
  • Prime with Weber PR360 and allow to dry
  • Check before use that the adhesive does not cause staining or discolouration of light coloured or translucent tiles.
Mixing
  • Gradually add the bag of adhesive to 6 - 6.5 litres of clean water until a smooth workable paste is achieved.
  • Allow to rest for 10 minutes
  • Use within 1 hour of mixing
  • Do not attempt to extend pot life by adding more water to the mix
Application
  • Pour the adhesive onto the substrate and spread with a solid bed trowel.
  • Use a suitable notched trowel to achieve a solid bed of 3-6mm.
  • Tiles with studded backs may need to have adhesive buttered onto the back as well.
  • Do not apply more adhesive than can be tiled within 20 minutes.
  • Bed tiles down firmly into the adhesive with a slight sliding and/or twisting action to ensure a good contact.
  • It is good practice to lift an occasional tile after fixing to verify that the required contact is being achieved.
  • Leave appropriate clearance joints for grouting
  • Make any adjustments within 10 minutes
  • Carefully clean off any excess adhesive with a damp cloth or sponge from the tiles and joints before it sets.
  • Leave for at least 4 hours before grouting (longer at lower temp).
Allowance for movement
Flexible joints should be incorporated to allow for slight movement due to changes in temprature, humidity etc. as inicated by BS 5385:
  • Where the tiling meets other materials (e.g. floor perimeters)
  • Along all internal corners - vertically and horizontally
  • Over existing movement joints or changes in backround material
  • Dividing large tiles areas into bays (every 3-04.5m on walls, 8-10m on floors)
Packaging
  • Packed in plastic lined paper sacks. Grey:15KG
Coverage
  • Coverage is approx. 0.9kg of powder per m2 for every 1mm of bed thickness
Storage and shelf life
  • When stored unopened in a cool dry place at tempratures above 5 degrees, shelf life is 6 months from date of manufacture
Health and safety
  • Harmful by inhalation. Irritating to eyes and skin
  • Keep out of reach of children
  • In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical help
  • After contact with skin, wash immediatly with plenty of soap and water. Wear suitable protrective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Might be useful to know what it was like to work with - pot life, working time, setting time, ease of mixing and spreading etc......

R

Rich

Thank you gents. I am using it in the morning so rest assured will add to the post then, although I will only be using it to lay Ditra so I might not be able to give a very detailed review. I have think Captain Slow is using the same stuff soon so Im hoping he will be able to fill in the blanks I leave :thumbsup:

R

Rich

That made my ears prick up as well Dave.

Just to add, both me and the supplier that I used to get this adhesive in were told by one of the reps that there is no need to prime the anhydrite screed before tiling, then when I got hold of the info above it clearly states to "Prime with Weber PR360 primer and allow to dry". Not to blame the rep but there is very little info on this stuff and I want to stress the importance of making sure that the prep is right.

S

Spud

I would be very careful on the drying time of the primer, have you already primed the floor ?

Reply to Info on Weber.Col anhydrite 2 Gypsum based adhesive... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen