Search the forum,

Discuss How do you work. Price per metre, Price Per Job, day work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jeff the tiler

Hey all after reading the "price per metre thread" perhaps it would be good to do a poll, so not to put in any costs, to find out how you guys prefer to work.

Not sure how to set one up so perhaps Sir Ramac, Dave Howe, Bri etc can help.

Price work, Price per metre, Day work or other [though not sure what that looks like?]

The results may be interesting

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

I'll still move it to the arms Jeff, I'll attempt to add a poll, it's been a while! Bear with me!

laughitup.gif

I

Ian

Bri woud that not be price work?

I suppose, but I base it all around a day rate, for example if I think a job will take 5 days and I want to earn £10 per day I will put in a price for £50 + costs. But yes, I will still put a price in rather than specify a day rate. Some companies I work for know my day rate and ask me to guesstimate how long it may take, just so they have some idea of the end cost.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
I suppose, but I base it all around a day rate, for example if I think a job will take 5 days and I want to earn £10 per day I will put in a price for £50 + costs. But yes, I will still put a price in rather than specify a day rate. Some companies I work for know my day rate and ask me to guesstimate how long it may take, just so they have some idea of the end cost.

Can I book you for a few months bri @£10 a day lmao... ;)

P

Peter

Sometimes work on a price and sometimes on a day rate but all balances out. As long as I make a certain amount every week I'm happy enough. I think this helps me get work as I can earn more than 'day rate' on a big floor but don't price myself out of smaller jobs which often leads to more work. ie, Do a big floor for 3 days, then two small jobs Thursday and Friday that'll not make as much per day but the big floor has allowed me to earn my weekly requirements or above on it's own. Seems to work.

Will sometimes do two smaller jobs in a day for 3/4 day rate rather than charging a full day for a half a day's work which I don't entirely agree with.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I've chosen day work, as I always work out how long I think a job will take and then multiply the amount of days by how much I want to earn per day. Then add on materials and business costs.

bri, would your day rate not include your business cost ?

i do day rate plus materials, or m2 rate depending on the size of job.

my day rate is worked out by how much it cost me to run my business, plus how much i need to earn to live......plus a bit of profit, for a rainy day......and its bloody pouring down at the momment....:lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
It's like when you go into a shop and there are no prices on items and you have to ask, the assistants look you up and down as if you can't afford it anyway.

I do a mixture but I generally charge a day rate + materials, diesel, like phil said some jobs are difficult to put a fixed price on, although I do prefer to give a fixed price to customers. If they do require additional work I will go on a day rate/%age of day rate for time taken.

P

Peter

I just say "if you have to ask how much? you can't afford me" only joking,:lol: I do a mixture of price and day rate, some jobs are hard to put a fixed price on. So I give a day rate, and try to give a good days work.:thumbsup:

Do you just say "I'm x amount a day" or do you say how many days you'll roughly expect to be, or is it just an open thing?

T

TJ Smiler

I work on a price, but i get to my final figure by a combination of all of them. I work out how many days i think it will take me then i times that by how much i want a day for that particular job, then i will do it based on a price per m2, add my expenses and materials and whichever one is the greater i will charge that amount............ Normaly put a bit of 'just in case' money on top too :8:

Reply to How do you work. Price per metre, Price Per Job, day work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement