Search the forum,

Discuss How do you deal with cowboys in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jimbob

What are you doing on site Jimbob? and are these cowboys doing your prep?
Are they proper builders or just chavs ?
I'm tiling an ensuite, bathroom, boot room and it's adjoining wet room. They're putting in the walls for the ensuite and doing the plastering throughout, they're supposed to be leveling up the walls and ceilings but these guys are rubbish.
I guess if the clients not going to say anything they're the ones who will be living with it at the end of the day.
They're jack of all trades, it sounds like they do anything and everything.

J

jimbob

I don't know who reads these forums, whether people looking to get work done read them or not. But word of warning for anyone looking to have tradespeople in to do work - ALWAYS always go and see work they have done before, speak with people who have had them in before and find out how long it's taken them before. Do as much research as you possibly can. Whether they come highly recommended or not. NEVER take a chance on anyone when they're doing work for you. You want to get it right first time round. Also, the lowest price quoted is definitely not always the best. It's low for a reason - cheap quality. I cannot stress this enough. Be wise.

L

LJD

At the same time , it’s no good seeing work they have done unless you get to see the written quote etc . Who is to say the client just wanted a “bodge job” then regretted it and blamed the guy who did it . I have been asked many times for my opinion on someone else’s work. I always say that until I know the whole story from both sides . I am not really wanting to get involved !

S

Spare Tool

If you've got other work to do then as above...walk!! If not start billing the client for standing around time and/or remedial work necessary, think they'll want to hear about it when it starts hitting them where it hurts....in the pocket ;)

L

LJD

But don’t walk until you have confirmed with client “WHY” . So there is never a question of you been blamed later Etc

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I never worry about confronting client with problems like this , as they are the ones who are employing and paying preceding trades..
Absolutely the prep for you should be up to standard.. Or it will be down to you as a finisher to sort the discrepencys out without being paid for it!
Been there....read that book.. ( I'm sure most of us have)... Not anymore.....
Failing that ... Dionne Warwick it .. " Walk On By":rolleyes:....oops

Reply to How do you deal with cowboys in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen