Search the forum,

Discuss how do you competively cost a sand/cement fix against adhesive on screed or visa vers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

just seen gary the tiler entry on jotm may , which is excellent .
dont think even many of the tilers arms members could do this , me included.
I am intrigued as to how one would cost this job.
tiler is obviously saving the contractor the cost of labour by getting a screeder in , as screed laid whilst tiles being set.
also saving the contractor cost of adhesive flex or not .
Against this extra labour cost to fix tiles .
am interested to know whether if you know the screed labour cost and mats individually or work them out , can you add back on labour cost for screeding and flex adhesive to your sand/cement fix cost .
if you knock maybe 5% off and save contracor the hassle of dealing with two trades how well do you do out of it.
i have a cost calculation for sand/cement/adhesive mix bedding when screeds are way out of level which works for me , but garys semi dry bed is far more labour intensive.
dont give your costs away gary.
percentages are ok by me.
this is so interesting for me as i used to bed stone in sand /cement adhesive mix for many years going back 25 years to 10 years ago , but as the level of my work domestic wise has gone up the levelness of screed has improved markedly
as well and not had to lay this method much at all except on reclaimed floors.

Reaction score
Re: how do you competively cost a sand/cement fix against adhesive on screed or visa

well it's screed and tile/addy/grout all in and mats if you are supplying , i was just thinking how do you get -round the leave the screed to dry for three -weeks rule, even thought i have used this method years ago LOL

S

Spud

Re: how do you competively cost a sand/cement fix against adhesive on screed or visa

I normally charge 30% more labour only than my labour and adhesive price, this is still a significant saving to the builder, it is labour intensive way of working but is also faster than screeding waiting to dry then tiling weeks later or using the green screed adhesives that are very pricey the floors can be laid and grouted the 24 hrs later although I usually wait 48 hrs ,I do enjoy this method of fixing and on this job it allowed me to create my own falls on the outside work and set my own finished floor level internally

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Nice to see the old skills still alive and well Gary. I think the old methods should be taught, otherwise this trade will go the way of many others. Where the skills are diluted to the point of extinction.:thumbsup:

P

Pebbs

I bounce it up another 35% against the labour and adhesive price, sometimes just getting the materials into the areas on the the site can take forever, and its a time consuming exercise. What I find is that you can so easily under estimate how much these floors can eat up the materials. I am currently shipping in tonnes of sand and cement onto one job, thankfully I had the supplier agree the price some time ago, or I would be feeling the pinch on the margins by now.

Lynn

A

Aston

this isnt directed at lynn, its aimed at any newcomers.

if you are ever measuring up in tons, use this formula.
the cubic area divided by 0.425 and that works out tons

P

Pebbs

Its ok Ed, I forget this formula so many times its up on the white board, mistakes cost money.

Lynn

Reaction score

if i did this work i would charge full screeding price then the tiling on top,
where is ALAN-AJAX ,how do you get round the three week rule then ?

P

Pebbs

What are you talking about? Gary said and I said we would put an uplift cost accounting for the materials and the labour, this is then additional to the tile laying. Add these together and you get your price.

Reply to how do you competively cost a sand/cement fix against adhesive on screed or visa vers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen