Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Need advice fitting tiles round pedestal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

ripkord

TF
Reaction score
Hi - recently installed hardibacker to my bathroom floor after many, many weeks of getting excessive amounts of the hardest adhesive in the world off the floor!

Anyway I cant adjust the level of the toilet and pedestal any more than I have already (I'd love to be able to tile underneath, but I cant).

So I'm left with the age old problem of cutting curves in tiles. What is the best way to do this. Am I best to hire a tile saw or will putting a tile saw blade on my bosch jigsaw do the job? I only have about 8 tiles to cut.

I have tried nippers but cant seem to get the hang of it. Requires a bit of skill!!! I have a profile gague and a scoring tool.

There has to be an easier way, nipping just sends shards of tile everywhere - but I'm probably doing it wrong :)

Thanks

J

jimbob

Are the tiles ceramic or porcelain? A jigsaw will only be useful if they are ceramic. I was using a jigsaw myself last weekend on some small ceramics and after a very small number of cuts they just slowed right down, so I gave up - maybe the ceramics I had were partucularly hard.

I suppose as long as the curve is not too sharp, a jigsaw cut would be possible.

Alternatively, get a scoring wheel and try (carefully) to score the curve freehand (I have a couple of scoring wheels mounted on wooden handles). Then use a jigsaw or wet cutter to cut out most of the waste, and finish off by using the nippers up to your scored curve :thumbsup: Remember when using nippers its not all about force - once you've got a good purchase, you need to use leverage to do the rest....

T

Tomtiler

i would just use an angle grinder with a gd blade should do the job as long as your markings are gd :thumbsup:

robbbin

TF
Reaction score
use plummers solder to take a template then a angle grinder you can get curved blades now from right lines

Reply to Help! Need advice fitting tiles round pedestal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen