Search the forum,

Discuss Help and advice needed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi, sorry to ask but we where having a repair done today on some floor tiles in our bathroom that had come lose. I witnessed him try and silicone the tile back down.

So question 1. Why did they come lose any ideas
Question 2 is silicon the tile back down acceptable way of doing a professional repair.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Attachments

• 20191031_112413.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to ask but we where having a repair done today on some floor tiles in our bathroom that had come lose. I witnessed him try and silicone the tile back down.

So question 1. Why did they come lose any ideas
Question 2 is silicon the tile back down acceptable way of doing a professional repair.

Any advice would be very helpful.
Hi Stephen,

there are voids underneath.. it has been dot and dabbed and there looks like a build up of different adhesives..

has the adhesive stuck to the tile?
from the look of that one tile you are likely going to have problems in the near future with other tiles

Reaction score
Thanks dave yes when they did the floor it wasnt level so they broke up some tiles and used large amounts of adhesive in places to make it level. I was worried that this would cause problems. The ones by the door are the first to go. And that is the small amount of adhesive.

I take it using silicone is as a thought a dodge attempt?

Reaction score
And you paid them to do that? adhesive can only be built up to 6mm in isolated areas unless particular adhesive (Bal flex one for instance) can go to 15mm the floor should have been levelled using a leveller, then an anti-fracture mat laid then the tiling.. I would seriously ask the question of your tiler because you’re going to have bigger issues silicone will fix a tile (I’ve done this in my past life when I was on the tools) but was usually when I had one tile to go and didn’t want to mix any more addy up what adhesive did they use do you know?
Source URL: I need advice - Help and advice needed - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/help-and-advice-needed.90251/#post-959746

Reaction score
And you paid them to do that? adhesive can only be built up to 6mm in isolated areas unless particular adhesive (Bal flex one for instance) can go to 15mm the floor should have been levelled using a leveller, then an anti-fracture mat laid then the tiling.. I would seriously ask the question of your tiler because you’re going to have bigger issues silicone will fix a tile (I’ve done this in my past life when I was on the tools) but was usually when I had one tile to go and didn’t want to mix any more addy up what adhesive did they use do you know?
Source URL: I need advice - Help and advice needed - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/help-and-advice-needed.90251/#post-959746
No sadly no idea what they used here a pic of a built up section as you can see they used bit of tiles. Take it this is no good either.

20191031_160733.jpg

Reaction score
No sadly no idea what they used here a pic of a built up section as you can see they used bit of tiles. Take it this is no good either.

View attachment 110895
Definitely not mate..

I would say the lot needs to come up, floor prepped properly and retiled

it’s a shame because you will end up out of pocket unless your fixer puts it right off his own back which he should do

I’ve never known a tiler to try and build up using broken bits of tiles.. addy yes even though they shouldn’t but not broken tiles

sorry bud, let me know how the conversation goes

Reaction score
Definitely not mate..

I would say the lot needs to come up, floor prepped properly and retiled

it’s a shame because you will end up out of pocket unless your fixer puts it right off his own back which he should do

I’ve never known a tiler to try and build up using broken bits of tiles.. addy yes even though they shouldn’t but not broken tiles

sorry bud, let me know how the conversation goes

Thanks dave for all help and wisdom. Shame you hanged up the tools. Take it you was a professional for a good few years.

Thankfully it with a finance company too, so they are jointly reasonable, so we now pursuing them. Will let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Thanks dave for all help and wisdom. Shame you hanged up the tools. Take it you was a professional for a good few years.

Thankfully it with a finance company too, so they are jointly reasonable, so we now pursuing them. Will let you know how it goes.
I started out as a plumber by trade but had to learn the tiling game because I got stung by “professional tilers” too..

there are so many out there that say they are tilers but either haven’t done their time or just don’t care and because it’s a finishing trade it’s the worst one if it goes wrong...

if it’s through a finance company then that would explain a bit.. companies that offer finance just farm it out and don’t pay very well so attract the poorer tradesmen that will work for low price and that’s why so many corners get cut..

Good luck 👍👍

Reply to Help and advice needed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen