Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Hello from a new member in Herts in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. tapper

tapper Active Member

Morning Everyone,

After 20 years sitting at a desk i've decided to go alone into the tiling world,
    i went on a tiling course 10 years ago and have done several private jobs since bathrooms, kitchens and outside pathways, all of which the have been well received. However its scary entering into it on my own for the first time as most of you probably know (i am 46 by the way).

I will probably try the uk pro tilers course for 4 days as a refresher.

Any other recommendations and help would be welcome.

Thanks

2. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Welcome to the forum

Try and shadow a professional tiler for a couple of weeks or so as well if you can.

3. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Welcome and good luck

4. timeless john

timeless john Moderator - trainee Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Enjoy - this is the best trade out there!

5. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

From some of the people asking questions on here I wonder if some of tiling courses are out of date considering most of the pictures shown show people working with 150 mm tiles whereas in the real world in my experience most tiles I am fitting at the moment are 600 x 600 so maybe ask a course provider do they do a course where you can get used to working with and handling these sorts of tiles

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Adey1980

Adey1980 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Welcome and good luck

7. whitebeam

whitebeam Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Hi and welcome...where abouts in Hertfordshire you from.

8. Simon Dale

Simon Dale Professional Tiler

Welcome :)

9. Albert

Albert Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Welcome to the forum

10. tapper

tapper Active Member

im in Baldock

11. tapper

tapper Active Member

Cheers for the welcome and advice, i have managed to shadow a pro tiler for a couple of weeks in April/May, i will then book the refresher course and head out, realistically what can i expect to earn in the first year, i have some redundancy money to cover a few months but have to purchase a van and a few tools.

12. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Start doing your work now, see if you can pick up some jobs like small floors ,kitchen walls from some local tile shops , stuff you can do in a weekend . If a tile shop puts you forward for a job buy your materials of them . You look after them , they look after you . Also ask them if they have any displays need doing gratis or cheap just to show them your skills and give them confidence in giving out your card .