Discuss Hardiebacker- my first impressions in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

crushedolive

I hope this stuff is worth the hype as it is a bas*ard to fit onto rough 1930's walls that are back to brick. manufacturer doesn't comment on this precise scenario , merely says install using cartridge grab adhesive and mechanical fixings(screws and plugs) Well ,that won't work on the walls in this bathroom- the adhesive won't give enough bed to even out the walls- you HAVE to dot and dab with adhesive or fix to battens. Bit of a palaver to be honest .After the first wall when I got to the wall with the shower pipes I floated a coat of bonding plaster over the bricks as it was just less hassle that way.
And cutting the (12mm) stuff... score and snap...yeah, works... but only if you stick your boot into it
Going to tank it to do a proper job but next time will be looking for an alternative product. Wedi board perhaps...? Something less heavyweight would be nice too.

IMG_0160.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WetSaw

Any of the foam core boards ( Kerdi,Wedi etc,) are lighter and easier to work with plus they only need the joints and screw heads sealing

B

Blunt Tool

Only really ever use Hardie on floors, more or less tile insulation board or plasterboard on walls depending on weight and liquid tanked anyway. As for fixing to uneven brick walls I make wooden wedges and take my time to install them over complete wall making sure they are all plumb to each other then mark where they are on boards then dot dab adhesive and mechanical fix with the tile insulation screws and washers. Bit of a bother till you are used to it.

O

One Day

I just love hardi. There's simply nothing better for walls!
I love the weight, the ease of cutting, I really love the taste of the silica dust (mmmmm, tasty silicosis!)
And its fun to have to waterproof it all finally too!

O

One Day

Not really.
Use kerdi board and save bags of time, as well as money on osteopaths bills, cancer treatment and tanking kits.

Reaction score
Totally agree with OP!
I’m undertaking my ensuite refurb and used 12mm hardie for the shower walls. Never again.! Yes its solid and provides structural support to the stud frame but a complete pain to handle & their fixing screws dont coutersink without opening up the start of the hole a bit with a larger bit. Plus, after advice on here, it still needed tanking ( with Ardex). I’m likely going to use Jackoboard on my large main bathroom refit. 6mm Hardie on the floor was fine though. Easy to cut & screws countersink easily.

Reply to Hardiebacker- my first impressions in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks