Currently reading:
Hardiebacker - can I bed on mortar over floorboards?

Search the forum,

Discuss Hardiebacker - can I bed on mortar over floorboards? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

ChrisK

Hi,

Am about to take on my first tiling job and am throwing myself in the deep end with a load of natural stone (marble and granite).

It's kitchen and bathroom on a first floor, so wooden subfloor. I'll screw down the existing boards and plywood of course, but have bought 6mm Hardibacker to go over it too. Need to fix that tomorrow. I was going to screw it down with Screwfix's 25mm Turbo screws but I know you need to put some mortar or 'thinset' between the Hardibacker and the wooden subfloor. Can I use a weak mortar for this (5ish to 1?), or do I need to use tile cement? If so, can I just use some cheapie stuff, or should I use the Keraquick+Latex I've got for on top? The tile sizes are a 50x50x12mm marble mosaic in the bathroom and then 305x305x10ish mm granite in the kitchen.

Thanks,
Chris

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Thats what I use for 6mm hardie glued and screwed....

Ok. I would have gone for thirty five mm..... No real science as to why..... But that's what I would use. i.e. 6mm hardi plus say 5mm adhesive bed and twenty five mm floor boards.... Mind you guess modern floor boards are not 25mm

C

ChrisK

Thanks to all, yes, I'm taking on quite a bit but am researching as well as I can and trying to buy decent materials that give me a fighting chance, this keraquick is supposed to be pretty good.

Couple more quick questions:
- Do I let the adhesive dry under the Hardibacker before screwing through it, or should I do that while it's still wet?

- Anyone got a screwfix/toolstation link for some tape for the joints in the Hardibacker. The instructions say it needs to be "high-strength alkali-resistant glass fiber tape"?

- Also, am going to tile a short way above the countertops in bathroom and maybe some of the kitchen, again in the heavy natural stone tiles. In bathroom this is just regular plasterboarded walls and kitchen regular plastered brick. I know there are lots of rules about walls bearing tile weight, etcetera, but I'm guessing you can ignore the restrictions it's just one or two rows supported by a worktop underneath. Am I right?

Thanks to everyone, this seems like a very friendly bunch, not like the wolves on diynot...

Reply to Hardiebacker - can I bed on mortar over floorboards? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.