Search the forum,

Discuss Hardibacker Tanking Question in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

Is this just a bathroom with a standard shower, I wouldn't tank it, I only tank in walk in showers really unless a client/ builder specifies this then I'll do it.........if your using Hardi backer boards, mastic sealing everywhere before and after tiling and allowing all material to cure for at least a week what's the need to tank??......

Hardibacker isn't waterproof! If it gets wet (depending on shower usage and tiling etc) then it transfers water to the ply it's fastened to. Then all hell can break loose.

Cement boards have NO place in wet areas when there are products like Wedi and Kerdi out there.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I have tiled onto many backer boards over many years in bathrooms and never had a come back...........

image.png

M

MW Smith Ceramics

:grimacing:I do use wedi also, just prepared a bathroom in wedi before tiling as client insisted, so am I the only fixer that's done this then......am I on my own here ?.......I've done many hotels - travelodges , premier inns where we have tiles directly onto plasterboard in the shower areas with no tanking or mastic sealing prior to fixing, now that's asking for trouble I admit but all us lads were doing the same in all rooms for years.............this was the prep spec before tilin

Reply to Hardibacker Tanking Question in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays