Search the forum,

Discuss Hard to price in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rodders26

Any thoughts on this fellas,8 sqm kitchen wall from work top to celing cut around cupboards cut around 4 sockets cut around cookerhood has been a pain! and don't forget the window and some boxing in (1/2sqm)

floor needs to be self levelled then 7 sqm of polished porcelain, any thoughts what would be a reasonable price, as i've only give her a rough indication as she is a friend.

Cheers:mad2:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
how long did it take you rodders,and what would you normally charge?

work that out and adjust accordingly whatever you feel is fair for your friend mate

R

rodders26

put 30 hours in so far gonna finish off with the floor tomorrow, might have to put another layer of self level down so probabbly wont finish till fri.

T

Time's Ran Out

15sq metres in 5 days including the preparation - has to be for a friend or you won't be able to make it pay!
You may be able to get 3 days labour at your rate + any materials.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i don't know about 3 days,you would be pushing it,with prep and stuff.

i did one in december,from worktop to ceiling to floor,around 3 doors and window,including 2 door sides and head,above all units as well:drool5:,brick tiles(200x100)with mosaic sheets cut into same size spread around the room,tiled the floor as well,including the understairs bit,a right pain,took me 5 steady days,i don't like rushing :thumbsup:

Last edited:
R

rodders26

You have to take in the massive amount of cutting involved all round cupboards, tops of the cupboards, cooker hood, radiator on wall, can't take off been painted over about 1000 times (not risking opening a can of worms) one window, then some boxing in to the side of the cupboard, 4 plug sockets, one thermostat, one door bell chimer it's endless and sapping my will to live! this would have been sidestepped by a lot of tilers due to the time consuming nature of the job. small m2 but lots of work. I've give her £575 might sound steep to a friend, but she's only a friend of friend of a friend if you no what I mean? materials cost £100ish.

B

Barry bp

I would allow 2 days wall plus latex 1 day flloor 1 day grout £200 a day plus materials but i would take hood off wall tile and replace hoods are designed to sit on flush wall imo dont look good cut round also would take rad off wall have plumber if prob i like to give customer perfect job if they dont want to pay for that level of finish it wont be me doing it right now i have so much work im turning it away if you you are prepared to remove things and show the customer you go that bit further to you give them the perfect job and you know no one will do it better people will pay for that but you have to be conferdent you are the best.

T

Time's Ran Out

This is the problem with 'hard to price' type threads.
You can provide the meterage and a few details but you can't show what you can see, and so everyone will have a different opinion on the time/cost to be charged.
At the end of the day you have to get a wage from this job so you should provide an estimate at the beginning and stick to that! It's no good giving a rough indication as she might not be a friend at the end when you have to get paid.

My only input for people undertaking work that is outside of their comfort zone ( and if you ask how much to charge then I believe you are) then ANY customer should be paying a reasonable rate for the meterage/job that can be open to comparison, and if that job is taking more time through lack of experience, then the customer should not be paying above the odds.

Take your time, do a good job - but charge a fair rate accordingly and you will build up a good portfolio.

R

rodders26

like your attitude Barry that's the way I usually go, but I know this lady and she hasn't got that much till. Hate these sort of jobs,would be best of pricing them high enough so that you can go that extra mile without feeling like your slaving for peanuts,end up getting disheartened when they pan out like this has.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Hard to price in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen