Discuss Greetings all! Any Southampton based tilers here? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

James C

TF
Reaction score
hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster etc I hope someone can give me some pointers please ,or if based in Southampton, quote for the job

I am doing up the living room and my other half has her heart set on 2 sq metres of split face stone on the wall (I’ve attached an image of her dream!)

The wall is a dry lined wall that’s currently painted (I’ve attached an image of the room as it is, red squiggle shows the areas to be tiled)

What is the best method to attack the job?

Tile straight into the current wall

Or screw something different through into the breeze blocks behind the plasterboard
(Cement boards or ply wood?)

Any help or ideas would be very helpful!

James

James C

TF
Reaction score
Photos of the wall and the desired outcome!

3104908A-B773-438E-8DA1-D983308EBD6A.jpeg D4A60EBE-2774-4DCB-8E58-0455CFD92991.jpeg

Q

Qwerty

Welcome James. I am doing something similar in my living room in the near future.

You may want to post your advert for a tiler HERE or have a look through our tiler directory for local tilers to you

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum James.

2m2?
Glad I don’t work in Southampton :D
Looks kool tho!

James C

TF
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thank you so much for the help so far.

Depth is a challenge so I need to be able to fit the chosen substrate straight to the existing wall rather than stud it out. Hmtiling, your solution would be the most favourable as it’s onlg 4mm plus glue!

Thank you so much!

James C

TF
Reaction score
HMTILING - also to confirm as I’m not clever...

Mechanically fix as in screw through to the brick behind? Or something else?

H

hmtiling

HMTILING - also to confirm as I’m not clever...

Mechanically fix as in screw through to the brick behind? Or something else?
That's the one James. Those split face are heavy and tiling to paint is a no no. Mechanical fixing into the block wall with plugs screws and washers(see wedi washers) will sort this out. I'd use a 10mm notched trowel to glue the board and a decent s1 adhesive.

F

Flintstone

Don't be tempted for cheap split face when it comes to buying as they can be awful some times with glue showing and not locking together !

Reply to Greetings all! Any Southampton based tilers here? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks