Search the forum,

Discuss Full Bathroom "project" in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Falcone83

Hi,

I am new to the site and have started refurbishing my bathroom. I have only started ripping the old one out and have posted some pics of the job so far. there's pics of how it was previously also.

I have done a bit of tiling before (my kitchen floor, splashback, my mums hall floor and kitchen floor and one other job) and although I have never done a full bathroom before I am quite confident of doing this. I have a friend who is a joiner and another who is a plumber who said they would help when I need them.

I plan on posting the progress on here and I appreciate all help given.

I started taking the tiles off the wall and fond another set of tiles underneath which was a pain but the top layer of tiles had been dot and dabbed on so came off ok with a gentle but firm hit with a hammer.

I had to take the external wall back to the brick as it will need re plastered. I am reluctant to rip the bath and shower out until this is done as I cant go too much further until then. I have a downstairs toilet so these have been removed upstairs.

IMG_6063.JPG IMG_6064.JPG IMG_6082.JPG IMG_6086.JPG IMG_6193.JPG

T

Time's Ran Out

Don't replaster the outside wall, board it and tile direct to that. You have a greater weight tolerance on unplastered boards.

F

Falcone83

Don't replaster the outside wall, board it and tile direct to that. You have a greater weight tolerance on unplastered boards.

Ok thanks. I assumed it would need plastered, how will I build the window sill back up to make it square? Can this be done with plasterboard also?

F

Falcone83

Ok thanks, I will look into this rather than plaster.

I initially thought about strapping the back wall and putting plasterboard but when my friend who is a plasterer suggested just plastering it I thought that would be ok

T

Time's Ran Out

Ask a tiler what he'd want!
Flat and straight boards that can take 32 kg weight of tiles per square mt.
Board adhesive stick like shxt.

W

White Room

Ok thanks, I will look into this rather than plaster.

I initially thought about strapping the back wall and putting plasterboard but when my friend who is a plasterer suggested just plastering it I thought that would be ok

If you done a solid plaster on those blocks there's a 90% chance the plaster will crack in some way, if you plasterboard any movement will not follow thru to the tiles.

F

Falcone83

So is it better to strap the wall then plasterboard or would dot and dab work...?

Reply to Full Bathroom "project" in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen