Search the forum,

Discuss Floor set out pics? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaharrison9

Evening All.

Another flowing through rooms floor.

Going in tomorrow to start and the customer prefers the set out where in the kitchen(large glass doors) there is a full tile to the left of the wall when the grout line is centered on the glass doors but it leaves a 70mm slither down the right hand side of the hallway entrance.

If the tile is centered on the glass door it leaves nearly a half tile on the kitchen side and a over half cut where the slither is in the hallway(pic 3) also it leaves a niggly inch cut in one of the door entrances.

Any thoughts i know how pictures are appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin

DSCF0294.JPG DSCF0301.JPG DSCF0302.JPG DSCF0303.JPG DSCF0298.JPG

P

prceramics

i would live with that slither to have the doors centred mate looks like a good job

P

Protilers

looks good to me!...its the best set out for the job .......centre of most of the doors....100mm rip in one room.......oh well!!!!.......

nice looking job!

All the best

Lee

P

Protilers

that said you are going to have another dodgy set of cuts along the wall in picture 4 (it looks like that from the piccys!)........if that is the case......
what happens if you put the centre of a tile on the centre of the bi folds?

all the best

Lee

K

kaharrison9

Evening Lee. The set out is based on the glass bi folding doors (pic1)and that dictates then left to right and as it falls it is not far off centred as it comes through to the hallway door. If I centre the tile on the bi folding door it does get rid of the 70mm cut in the hallway but then puts a half cut to the left wall of the kitchen. In pic3 there are a couple of tiles showing roughly the position of the wall cuts if I alter the layout on the bi folding doors. Cheers. Kevin

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't be considering the glass doors. I take it the area will have either the kitchen or dining table in it.

I would half tile through the centre line of the hallway. You then don't have the 70mm slithers and its the area that is mostly on view. Its a hallway, its going to be unobstructed and in my ooinion is the more key area to be symmetrical on your job than how it lines up to the glass doors.

P

Protilers

Evening Lee. The set out is based on the glass bi folding doors (pic1)and that dictates then left to right and as it falls it is not far off centred as it comes through to the hallway door. If I centre the tile on the bi folding door it does get rid of the 70mm cut in the hallway but then puts a half cut to the left wall of the kitchen. In pic3 there are a couple of tiles showing roughly the position of the wall cuts if I alter the layout on the bi folding doors. Cheers. Kevin

maybe that is better........you cant have everything.....you are onsite and can see the real deal....a bigger cut "off centre" or a slither is not a bad thing....if "overall" the main areas are in good order!

all the best

Lee.......(do what you think is right.........you can see it properly!)....i am sure it will be great.........

Lee

K

kaharrison9

Cheers for your thoughts Ali.

There is an island in the centre and all the units are on the back wall.

It is quite a large kitchen and the glass doors are symmetrically the full length (6.5m) and height of the wall so probably the biggest feature in the house so that is why i was considering centring the doors.

The hallway on the left side has the stairs which break up the balance of the hallway as you will come through the front door so unsure about centring the hallway. You might able to pick out what i am saying with the enclosed photo.

Cheers.

Kevin

DSCF0296.JPG

K

kaharrison9

Evening Dave.

Anhydrite went down in February,sanded in May with 60 grit and hoovered,UFH commissioned, well ventilated, readings taken over the last few weeks and averaging around 67. lightly primed 4-1 and ditra put down using Gypfix, Ditra still to go down in the hallway and not yet got round to moving the hygrometer.

Kevin

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I see what you are saying. Still don't think I'd be happy with the 70mm cuts down that run. But if you moved the hallway tiles over by half I presume this puts the doors in the centre of a tile at the patio? Does this throw up any other awkward or nasty cuts elsewhere?

K

kaharrison9

I should have included the pic with the stairs in at the start. Fully agree I don't like the 70mm which is a shame as everything else mostly by luck is very good. In pic 3 there is a couple of tiles down that show how it sets out on the left of the kitchen wall and the right of the hallway eliminating the 70mm if I centre the tile on the glass doors but it does throw up a 1 inch cut in the doorway of the living room.

K

Kia tiling

What about cutting some down to smaller squares and doin pinwheel?
Usually works great through multiple rooms, looks good but extra work.

Reply to Floor set out pics? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen