Search the forum,

Discuss Floor Fail. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Northeast
Been tiling other parts of this house and started ripping this floor up. Had been laid by a tiler for the current owner. Not sure how long ago. Some tiles had come loose and a crack had formed in another. What a suprised I got when I took the tiles up.
20161104_113523.jpg
20161104_122021.jpg

The pic is a round table top, bits of old kitchen unit and all screws together. Topped with 6 mm ply which was pinned in a fee places with panel pins. On top of chip board but the table was directly under the ply and filling a gap in the floor.
Then once the chip board floor was up. The joist are just sitting loose on cement blocks. They fall short of either walls. Lol. Unreal 20161104_113539.jpg 20161104_142621.jpg

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Northeast
The customer was out for lunch, she was a tad upset but said she wasn't suprised. ... then she said why didn't the tiler sort it the last time....! No idea.
The loose joist are mint. There's a cast cement block at the bottom of the stairs. The joist have been rested in it while it was wet and left loose then placed on loose cent blocks on the other side of the room/hall. But to short to hit the wall by about 3".!
20161104_142554.jpg
20161104_142557.jpg

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Northeast
The problem lies with the cement block at the base of the stairs. And at the front door. The door cement is cast from outside in and carries a fair bit in, all levels suit the 3x3. You access the kitchen, stairs and sitting room and otside all from this hall area. It's like it's been added on later to the house but made to look as old. The first few layer of the wall are 60s brick but exterior made to look a lot area area and you can see the timber looks newish. Open to ideas.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
Was planning to cut into this blocks of cement and fit the joist and set the blocks, noggins and as you say @Kyle Knowles hangers etc but need to have at least a part floor down for the evening for them.to use, so need the blocks set. Any ideas around cement mix.
Travis perkins sell fast setting cement it's rock hard in about 2 hours

Reply to Floor Fail. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement