Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing mosaic's (horizontally) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi there, I've done a couple of job's recently where the customer has wanted a horizontal mosaic border. Although the customer's have been pleased with the result I'm not!
I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm looking for advice on fixing the mosaic (the 15 x 30mm type that come on a sheet approx 300mm sq).
Next time I've decided I'm gonna set the room out and get some ally angle straight edges, screw to the walls and fix the mosaic's 1st and leave them overnight or 24 hrs and tile up to them - is this best practice?
I'm sick of the odd wonky mosaic, dipping in or out, up or down!! :mad::(

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cut chocks of wood to correct height and do all the field tiling first then dig tooth them in at the end.

F

Flintstone

I don’t like the dog tooth method, I usually tile the whole room and use off cuts of tile to create the gap for the boarder, then I use mosaic mesh To make the mosaic more manageable, i butter the back of the mosaic to the correct amount and put it in. Too much chance of them all wobbling with dog tooth, in my opinion

M

MTiler

Most people tend to install the field tiles first then install the mosaics in the gap left for them. Where the mosaics are thinner than the field tiles theres various ways of building up the height. People use strips of backer boards, scrap tiles, mosaic mesh etc. You can also make a jig and use adhesive etc. to get your height. Whichever way you use make sure theyre set solid before installing mosaics otherwise theyll move about.
Just cut a piece of plastic etc to make a small trowel to fit the border size and youre sorted.

Sharon

Reply to Fixing mosaic's (horizontally) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen