Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting stone resin shower tray. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Marksmithtiling

Afternoon all,

As I have been let down on a 2 week job the lovely wife suggested I get on and refit the ensuite, a job that was in the pipeline that I had managed to put off.
All has been stripped back to plaster on 3 walls and plasterboard replaced with Hardie.
This ensuite is in an extension above the garage and when I removed the flooring I discovered proper floorboards not chipboard!. The extension was done in 2001.
There was a stone resin shower tray just sat on the floorboards,not fixed in any way,and has not caused any problems with leaking or movement.

I have just taken delivery of the new tray also stone resin, and the fitting instructions say to cut away the floorboards replace with 18mm ply and bed on sand and cement.

I was hoping to fix 6mm Hardie with spf and screwed, tile the floor then fix tray to tiles and walls with silicon, its heavy so I dont think it will move, the last one didn't, and as I said that was not fixed at all.

Does any one think this will be ok, or should I go with what the instructions say. I am doing the work my self cant afford a plumber !!!

Any advice greatly appreciated

D

DHTiling

Depending on the profile of the underside of the tray it might be better to bed in on S1 tile adhesive..

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Agree with Dave.

If mine are going straight onto the floor i stick it with a thick bed of SPF. like tiling a floor ensure the whole underside of the tray is into the adhesive and you can't go wrong.
I do this myself because even stone resin trays can crack/fail with use. A thick bed ensures it's fully "supported".

M

Marksmithtiling

The under side is flat just the gap around the edge where the sides are formed, so I should be ok putting the Hardie down first then solid bed of spf ..........

M

Marksmithtiling

The last one was there for 11 years ,hopefully this one will last as long !!! Was quite surprised that the last one was just sat on floor boards no fixing at all. Thanks for your input.

M

Marksmithtiling

The instruction with the tray state a bed of 15 - 20 mm .
To make my life worse the wife has realised the floor boards run thru the bedroom, so apparently my next job is to lift the carpet and sand and varnish them .......deep joy

W

White Room

The instruction with the tray state a bed of 15 - 20 mm .
To make my life worse the wife has realised the floor boards run thru the bedroom, so apparently my next job is to lift the carpet and sand and varnish them .......deep joy

Your'll only get bored if you ai'nt doing anything:lol:

Reply to Fitting stone resin shower tray. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen