• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Film fronted mosaics help !! in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please see pictures...

I'm struggling with these film fronted glass mosaics.

They're 6mm deep with no mesh on the back.

The backs of the mosaic tiles have a slight hollow in them so the mosaic mesh I've brought to install doesn't stick very well.

I Spread adhesive on wall and back skimmed the mesh to pack out depth to 10mm (depth of large tiles).

Tried laying second set but it started slumping down. Using TA Magix-R. Admittedly was slightly wet but nothing major.

Thankfully customer wants white grout cos as you can see the adhesive has gone everywhere when I bedded into place.

How can I install these and make a good job of it ?? Also, because they're glass, I'm concerned will see the mesh through the tile.

Any help appreciated please.

OP
F
Reaction score
20180523_172951.jpg
20180523_172958.jpg
20180523_172958.jpg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I would personally loose the mesh and dog tooth them in. Use rapid set and get scrubbing the joints as soon as it goes off so as the joints will clean up easy without disturbing the mosaics. But that's me and someone may have a better solution!

OP
F
Reaction score
What depth do you think ? Fyi - 6mm mosaic, 9.5mm tile, 10mm trim.

To check my understanding - Let dog toothed go off for 30mins then spread fresh rapid set in with a mosaic trowel?

Much appreciated

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Your final height/depth is determined by the trim so 10mm.
I would personally do it in one go for that depth.
So make a dog tooth from a scrap of tile to leave about 4 or 5mm from trim and pad the mosaics in flush. Can get a bit messy and you might need some wedges. Or do it in 2 stages like you suggest and make the dog tooth leave about 7mm from trim and let that go off before using the mosaic trowel.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi,

So I managed to set the tiles today with magix rapid set and was quite happy with the result (see picture).

I went for the dog tooth and set in on go, rather that two staged approach.

As such, the grout lines filled up a fair bit with adhesive as I pressed into place with grout float.

As suggested, before allowing to set over night, i tried cleaning the grout lines whilst the adhesive was fairly soft, 2.5 hours later, just before going home.

Some of the mosaics came loose from pulling the film back (Which is stuck on pretty well) and some came loose as I gently scraped the adhesive out.

Is the bond really that weak or should I just leave overnight?

There is plenty of contact/coverage with the adhesive I'm guessing, otherwise it wouldn't be oozing through the grout lines.

Help much appreciated. I dread the next mosaic job without mesh.

Reply to Film fronted mosaics help !! in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer