Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Failure! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I think the boiler guy said it should be at 1.5/2 on the scale. Usually have to put about 1 into it. Think this is bar scale?

D

Dumbo

I would think you could disconnect ufh from central heating at ufh manifold and do a pressure test on ufh . Another option could be come the summer when u are not using ufh shut the valves at the ufh manifold and if pressure doesn't drop on heating system that should give you a pretty good indication .

Reaction score
Boiler man came and looked today, replaced the prv it was leaking some water onto the vessel and replaced another part ( unsure if this was leaking!, I wasn't there so I'm hearing second hand info from my mum!)

Boiler guy reckons this has been the cause of the pressure drop but to monitor it. What it has been using over the 4/6 weeks he thinks would maybe be a cup of water so very little.

He doesn't think there is a leak in the floor as pressure drop is so small, no visible sign of water on floor/ up walls, heating is working perfectly.

His opinion is the floor has lifted because of the poor tiling job which is of course is definitely correct! Just still seems strange how it lasted so long then tented so badly in a straight line over a period of approx 2 weeks.

So! Monitor now and hopefully this will put an end to topping up the boiler every 4/6 weeks

S

SJPurdy

His opinion is the floor has lifted because of the poor tiling job which is of course is definitely correct! Just still seems strange how it lasted so long then tented so badly in a straight line over a period of approx 2 weeks.
Just reviewed the pics. It looks to me that the different coloured adhesives are from different periods i.e. floor originally tiled with the lighter (white) adhesive and then retiled with darker adhesive (maybe even over a grey SLC). That should not be a problem however looking at the pics of the partly taken up tiles there seems to me to be very little joint spacing between the tiles (the grout is clinging into the radiuses on the edge of the tiles and the thin joint in between. This could part of the reason for the failure - the tiles have very little compressible grout between then to absorb some of the stresses due to eg. thermal movement . They have held out for the 12 years and then maybe some additional stress occurred which caused the tiles to tent. When the tiles are relayed make sure there is minimum 3mm gap for grout between them.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Reply to Failure! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks