Search the forum,

Discuss Failed anhydrite floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I went to look at a floor that had failed a couple of days ago and of the 60 m2, not much of it seems to be left attached to the screed. The grout is cracking and most tiles sound hollow. It's going to be a mammoth task sorting it out as the skirtings and kitchen are all fitted ontop. Now before I delve in and start pulling the place apart, what are people's thoughts on trying a resin injection to remedy the situation, is it worth a go? It wasn't me who tiled it originally so I'm not sure exactly why it's failed, my guess would be wrong prep or wrong adhesive, I won't know until I remove a couple of tiles. The lady has only been in the house 18 months and I want to cause as little disruption as possible, I feel quite sorry for her as she is quite clearly distressed about it.

M

Mr Tiler

cant you just find out the original tiler and question him on what methods he used and try to find out before ripping it all out?

I

Ian

cant you just find out the original tiler and question him on what methods he used and try to find out before ripping it all out?

It's all loose anyway so it doesn't really matter what he has to say, I'll be able to see what the problem is as soon as I remove a tile or 2.

I

Ian

I cant see it being an option IMO. Rip out and redo :yikes:

It's going to be a beast of a job, I'm hoping a lot of the tiles will just slide out from under the skirtings and plinths. Taking the kitchen out is the last thing I want to be doing.

T

Time's Ran Out

The resin injection will only work if the tiles are level! If there is any uneven loose tiles they will have to be fixed first. It's a very expensive process and unless it's stone on decoupling I wouldn't think it's a cost effective option. She should try getting compensation off the previous owner!

I

Ian

The resin injection will only work if the tiles are level! If there is any uneven loose tiles they will have to be fixed first. It's a very expensive process and unless it's stone on decoupling I wouldn't think it's a cost effective option. She should try getting compensation off the previous owner!

The tiles have stayed level with the exception of one or two particularly loose ones, the developer who built the house is paying for it to be put right so the lady won't be out of pocket, I'm just trying to come up with the least messy solution. Thanks for the information about the cost, it's not something I'd even looked into, I kind of half thought I might be able to do it myself given some guidance. I'll do it in small areas I think rather than rip everything out in one go, that should help keep the dust and mess to a minimum.

S

Stef

Bri, you could be opening up a can of worms m8.
You say you want to keep the mess down but what if the screeds not been sanded?
I wouldn't like to sand 60m2 with a kitchen & skirtings fitted.
Just a thought..

D

Dougs Third Go

I agree with Neale, too many possible reasons to start second guessing, a rip out and re-do would be my modus operandi.

Reply to Failed anhydrite floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen