Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Easypoxy - do I need to mask metal trim to stop it getting scratched? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

ojtiler

Hi all,

I'm about ready to start grouting my wetroom and would really appreciate some guidance on how to best protect metal trim when I'm grouting....

The tiles are porcelain (3mm gap) and I have some areas where I have fitted 'Genesis ' metal trim strip (e.g. around the window reveal/ledge). I have decided to use BAL Easypoxy grout - as I have read on some other posts in this forum that this provides good durability for wetroom application.

I haven't used BAL Easypoxy before, but - apart from the care needed to apply it - should I also mask the metal trim strip to stop it becoming scratched??? I put masking tape on the trim when I fitted it, to prevent any stray 'gritty' adhesive damaging the surface, so I am inclined to leave this in place to keep the metal surface nice & tidy - but I am concerned that having masking tape on may make it more difficult to level the grout off and achieve a nice even finish.

Does BAL Easypoxy contain particulates that could scratch? Very pleased to receive any advice on this!

Many thanks.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Easypoxy - do I need to mask metal trim to stop it getting scratch

I'd test a bit on some off-cut tiles first perhaps no matter what. Have you given Bal Tech a call to make sure they advise it's fine?

My assumption is; it would be fine. Just don't do too much at a time. And don't let water run into dry joints that you've not yet applied the epoxy to yet. We used to do a square meter, then emulsify, then wash it off.

You literally just need to push the epoxy into the joint and not particularly on the surface of the tile. It'll be the emulsifying and washing off with a sponge that would scratch anything if it would be prone to scratching.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help I'm not the best when it comes to technical stuff to be honest.

W

White Room

Last time I used the bal one was a number of years ago, it's not course like a heavy sanded grout...more like a resin texture.

O

ojtiler

Thanks for the replies. Looks like masking may not be necessary.... I'm picking up the BAL Epoxygrout tomorrow so making a start soon & I'll let you know how I get on.

Any further advice welcome.

Thanks.

F

foggy34

if unsure i would prob mask it for piece of mind! it wont harm and might save ya a nightmare

T

Time's Ran Out

As Epoxy usually requires a wipe over the next day to remove the 'haze' I'd consider using masking tape to all non tile surfaces. This way when it is cured you will not have the polishing issues outside of the tiling. Pay special attention to the shower grate if satin finish as these can stain!

O

ojtiler

Many thanks for your replies. I've decided I'm going to mask the metal trim before grouting over that area. Better safe than sorry!:smilewinkgrin:

O

ojtiler

Brief update in case anyone wondering how things panned out!

I found masking the metal trim was effective in stopping the trim being damage with the float as I applied the grout, but I found after I removed the tape that minor 'streaks' of epoxy had managed to get under the edge of the tape. I found the best way to deal with this was to wipe very carefully with some thinners I had in the garage (designed for resin floor paints). This really brought the trim up clean without scratching it.

So - I'm not a professional tiler, but anyone considering doing this who is as inexperienced as I was, I would recommend applying the masking tape and wiping with thinners before the epoxy has set.

Reply to Easypoxy - do I need to mask metal trim to stop it getting scratched? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks