Search the forum,

Discuss Dot And Dab - Will It Have To Come Up? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jaycy99

Hi all,

Just had the bathroom floor tiled - well almost , the builder walked off after a disagreement.

The floor job is 8 square metres of ceramic tiles on a plywood boarded wooden floor. It was primed and I think PVA was used.

The adhesive is Mapei Rapid Set flexible.

The builder left his plumber on his own for the day to do the floor saying to me "He's got 20 years tiling experience, I've only got 4 years. In the day the job was 70% completed - but with no grouting done.

When the builder turned up the next day, the first thing he did was to lift 2 0r 3 of the tiles and they were redone. When I asked what the problem was he said with a shrug of his shoulders "You could blame the tiler, you could blame the cement or maybe something else."

Anyway, I let them get on with it, but the program of work and the electrician about to turn up meant that the floor was still unfinished - about 90% complete now and still with no grout - and the following day they walked off site.

When I was cleaning up I noticed you could still see the plywood between most of the tiles and a corner of one of them was broken.

I had a quick look on the internet to see some tiling being done and read some stuff about good and bad practise etc. Suspecting the adhesive had been applied using the dot and dab method I investigated a bit further. I made some feelers out of wire coat hangers to see that if there were voids under the tiles, how big they might be.

In some places I was able to insert a 4-5 (nearly 2 inches) cm wire along the edges of the tiles and swivel it through 180 degrees without feeling any cement. overall the gaps along the edges of the tiles varied from a cm or so up to this 4-5 cm.

Sorry about the rambling preamble, but my question is this - do I have any other alternative to taking up the whole floor and redoing the lot/!?!

Any and all advice will be gratefully received.

JC

W

White Room

I would remove and glue and screw hardie backer boards that if they ceramic or Porcelain...natural stone would need a ditra matting.

S

StevieBoy

Sounds like they need to come up really and re-done properly.

I doubt they'll take a lot of getting up by the sounds of it.

O

On one

Sounds like one of those jobs that will not take too long to rip out again and do properly

Reply to Dot And Dab - Will It Have To Come Up? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen