Currently reading:
Dot and Dab Plasterboard onto painted walls

Discuss Dot and Dab Plasterboard onto painted walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Warwickshire
Hello all,

I know it's not best practice to tile onto painted walls especially when using large format tiles. My question is this - if you Dot and Dab onto painted walls does this not create a similar issue of the paint being behind the plasterboard adhesive - is this why mechanical fixings are good to use aswell. In the past when faced with a painted wall I tend to go at it with a wirebrush attachment on a grinder.

D

Dumbo

Many thanks widler. do you think that dot and dab is better than battened? Also do you have to use thistle bond it? It's £60 a tub. If it's the best and does the job then fair enough:grinning:
What he is say is you don't thistle bond your battens you mechanically fix . So why not just mechanically fix through the dots. Same process .

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Warwickshire
I think it depends how well fixed you want it. Swings and roundabouts. I like to rely on the bond of the driwall adhesive as well as the screws.

Best practice would be to remove the backing coat of plaster completely and D&D to the brick/block wall IMO. That way the depth is less too

Thistle bond is probably overkill though

Is this something that you ever do? Or is that only if the plaster is in a bad way

Reply to Dot and Dab Plasterboard onto painted walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement