Search the forum,

Discuss Doing a Freebie nearly cost me £100 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I started a job yesterday for a very good friend. I was not charging him for laying hardibacker & tiling the floor (about 4.5sqm of porcelain). Before I started I noticed that his wall tiles were virtually coming away from the wall. So I took a picture of them.
I laid the Hardibacker and started spreading the addy. I slightly touched the bottom row of wall tiles with my trowel, and woah, 25 tiles came crashing down into the addy. I put the dirty ones into the sink to wash them. I turned on the tap, but unbeknown to me my mate had disconnected the waste pipe. The water just went straight through the plughole and onto the floor. My mate had done the measuring, and of course did not buy enough tiles for nice cuts. Luckily they were black tiles and black grout. I had to make some of the cuts a little bit shorter than I would have liked. It all worked out ok and my off cuts could easily fit into a Tesco carrier bag without it splitting. I packed up my tools and got into my car when I noticed a little yellow and black square stuck to my windscreen. A parking ticket. I was reeling on the way home. I had got a ticket for parking on a grass verge. The tires were barely touching the grass. When I got home I looked at the ticket. The parking attendant had got one digit incorrect for my registration number. I'm hoping that this invalidates the ticket. I checked online and the reg quoted belongs to a Toyota Rav4. Not a VW Golf. So, doing a good deed nearly cost me a £100 fine. BTW, my mate has now asked me to tile the wall where the tiles came away. I'll be charging for this one!

O

Olz

I think what will probably happen is that the council will eventually apply to find out the owners detilas of the incorrect number they recorded, at which point they will contact said owner who will point out their mistake becuase he will say his car isnt a VW GOLF, and they will have to invalidate the ticket, i cant see how they would ever trace it back to you if they got the reg wrong unless of course they took a photo so you should be okay.

C

cornish_crofter

As for the ticket thing, I think you'll get away with that one.

The Toyota owner will probably get the reminder. Leave well alone and see if you hear any more.

L

LM Ceramics

definetly get away with that once they notice they havent got the right reg i cant see them pursuing it

lucius

TF
Reaction score
I got done years ago for the same thing, they got the reg right but the vehicle as toyota van when it was a nissan cabstar just waited for the reminder and wrote them a nasty letter no problem, also got done once in a bus layby for parking 2 minutes after 8 when parking was allowed til 8 sent another nasty letter along the lines of arent the police supposed detecting crime not sneeking up on people coming out of the cafe 2 minutes late got away with that one but the best one was when council employed traffic warden got me on parking at the local swimming pool on some hatching while i ran in shop to get a paper only trouble is the jobsworth parked his car on the same hatching to nick me unfortunately for him i had a camera in the car so ticket, picture and letter was sent back to the council explaining what is good for the goose is good for the gander as you may guess didnt hear any more.
Lucius

D

david campbell

last freebie i done ended up with a mate that lost a lot of friends,won't go in to details about it,but he started getting really cheaky when he was getting a lot of work done for the cost of materials, about how often i was there(it had been agreed that i would be there after jobs and on my days off),bottom line is he was made to look like a total a*$e,so ever since there has been no freebies,so there can be moaning !!!

G

graham31

Yip was meant to tile my brothers bathroom but every time i went up their was more flafing about than the time before.Cut a long story short he phoned one day asking how much he owed me for mats answer was nothing i hadn't bought any.So he said he needed it pushed on and would do it him self.Fair enough i said.

Then a week later i broke his arm and wrist at football :oops: :ban:i should have offered to do the tiling again but got somessing about the 1st time i never

Reply to Doing a Freebie nearly cost me £100 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen