Currently reading:
dewalt d24000 - am i stupid?

Discuss dewalt d24000 - am i stupid? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

leesfarm07

Bought a dw24000 before xmas and have only just come to trying it out. Straight cuts are fantastic even a 1mm slice. But when I want to cut out a piece to say go aroung a corner (ie a cut from one direction then a cut at 90 deg from the other direction) i am left with the bit of tile still in the corner of the cut due to the sweep of the blade. Obviously when doing this cut on a normal table wet saw the blade is the other way up so you dont get this problem. Am I being thick here or is there a way around this?:iamwithstupid:

G

grumpygrouter

Bought a dw24000 before xmas and have only just come to trying it out. Straight cuts are fantastic even a 1mm slice. But when I want to cut out a piece to say go aroung a corner (ie a cut from one direction then a cut at 90 deg from the other direction) i am left with the bit of tile still in the corner of the cut due to the sweep of the blade. Obviously when doing this cut on a normal table wet saw the blade is the other way up so you dont get this problem. Am I being thick here or is there a way around this?:iamwithstupid:
Use your nippers to nip the excess out.

H

hillhead

Its brilliant Joe, do you have the stand? I have had mine a good few years now, I think it was around £1000 if I remember right. It has the same size motor as the dewalt.
sure is brilliant.3 hp motor cuts everything with ease.yeah i got the stand with it.its all still in great condition.i have mine near 4 years now and paid over 1300 for it! Mine paid for itself quick.lol.

D

diamondtiling

Yeah I might have paid around that price myself Joe £2000 odd and then my discount, I got mine from trimline in Surrey. I had started Fitness First in Dudley and had 2 extra tiling teams, none had a wet cutter between them :mad2: but in fairness there were excellent tilers and stayed with me all over the country for about 5 years, trouble was they were welsh, I have never had so many late nights on the booze whilst working with them, good rare blokes.

:8::8::8::8:

H

hillhead

Yeah I might have paid around that price myself Joe £2000 odd and then my discount, I got mine from trimline in Surrey. I had started Fitness First in Dudley and had 2 extra tiling teams, none had a wet cutter between them :mad2: but in fairness there were excellent tilers and stayed with me all over the country for about 5 years, trouble was they were welsh, I have never had so many late nights on the booze whilst working with them, good rare blokes.

:8::8::8::8:

Nice to know men like that Dom,i bought mine as i was doing more and more marble work,first job it was on was a big un so well covered there alone !!
even in 08 on a hotel job i done i had a crew of 8 at one stage and again not a saw between them so the sigma got the works,quartz and all !! went through 2 blades on that one:thumbsup:.late sessions there too,lol

T

Time's Ran Out

Back to the Dewalt - I'am glad you pointed that out leesfarm07 - it is certainly worth taking note of for when I win the lottery and get my 2400.
It is nothing that would stop me getting that machine but I would definitely leave the tile flat on the bed when cutting the L shape!
The lifting method explained in the video could not have been sanctioned by any health and safety body and I bet he wasn't wearing goggles either.
I bet one or two members Know the feeling of that kick when the tile jams in the blade - I have a quick count of the fingers before carrying on!

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
I have lifted the tile Timeless, Make sure the back edge is tight to the back of the table. Its only suitable for small tiles though and not something to attempt unless well used to the cutter. For bigger tiles I just turn the tile over and cut an extra 40mm(this measurement was arrived at by trial and error,and varies slightly with tile thicknesses

D

diamondtiling

Its not a video I'd show if I was employing someone or at an industrial tribunal defending my working practice against a fingerless former employee!

I understand your point of view John but what he was doing with that tile comes with experience and professionalism, I would not expect a green tiler to carry out that task but I do it all the time.
I have seen many painters and decorators hopping their ladders so that they dont have to keep climbing up and down, looks dangerous but they still do it.

:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Thanks guys. This is my first post since introducing myself...cant believe the response its incredible! should have been on this ages ago! Just busy getting the machine in a 'used' condition before my next job on monday...gives the customer that feeling that you have actually used it before and therefore know how to use it!!:lol: Cheers guys!:hurray:
Dom - My replies weren't aimed at the professional!

R

Rob Z

Leesfarm,

It works well to do what was already suggested....cut on one side, then turn it over and connect the lines. Any material that is left in the corner could be nipped out or cut with a grinder, but if you want to use the saw then you can do this.

Raise the blade up fully to the top of the plunge feature and lock it in place with the knob. Push the tray out of the way so there is max clearance under the blade. Then bring the notch of the tile into position and let the blade eat away the bit that is in the corner of the cut.

This is perfectly safe and will give you good and quick results. I rarely use the grinder any more because the dust causes me problems and the wet saw of course contains all of that for me.

G

GrimSmith

Sorry this is a bit late, I've only just registered and read this query.

All the replies are good though I always have a small hand diamond blade cutter/grinder in my kit, use this gently and carefully to take out fiddly corner bits, it works a treat!

I appreciate you may be a DIY man, so practice on some of the mis-measures, broken bits (We all have them!) that way you'll get perfecto!

Back to the grind.

P

Peter

it is D,i lifted it a couple of times and hurt my back so said no more,it's more the awkwardness of it more than anything,damn good machine though don't ya think??

When I was an apprentice it was always my job to get the big 10m yoke out of the van, walk it through a building site, usually up a flight of stairs, and set it up. :lol:

Loved using that one. Cut anything you ever needed and a blade lasted for an eternity on it. Would get one myself if I ever had a large marble job to pay it off.

Dewalt saw doesn't appeal to me as you have the top mounted blade which always seems arse about face to me - never liked bridge saws for that reason.

Reply to dewalt d24000 - am i stupid? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.