Search the forum,

Discuss Crystal Resin Floor Disaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

digbysdad

:thumbsdown:Hi everyone I'm sitting in my conservatory looking at my mess of a WHITE crystal resin based floor 60 x 60 x15mm mirror tiles 52 square metres of it,. These are laid over a calcuim sulphate heated floor. Every tile is now dished and all the grout is seperated. they rock around as you walk on them. This floor was laid by "professionals" who I will not name. They got the job because they made a good job of the Black Mirror Crystal WORKTOPS which they advertised as the best OF the WORLD .two years ago. As there is no hope of getting my money back can anyone suggest a good way to remove " standard tile cement off the backs. bal one pack Its well notched and about 5mm thick. The tiles have completely uncoupled from the C/S floor with no damage its liae nothing was ever there . i want to reuse them if possible on a Ditra matting. The dishing is about 2 mm point to point Also any suggestions on a bonding agent ( C/S floor to mat and mat to tiles) would be appreciated.

R

Rookery

Should have been fixed with 2 part too. Why is there no chance of getting your money back?

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

HI.. those tiles are goosed.. no good for heated floors... hence the dishing..
this realy needs to be tested is it the screed is it the heat is it the adhesive is it the tile is it the heat from the sun on the surface .the adhesive is stuck to the tile not the floor .so why do they curl up .when thinking if the heat comes from below why not bow .if heat comes from the top would they curl .looks like a blow touch test is in order or halegeon light .ever way the adhesive should have the streght to hold the tile to the substrate ?so it looks like yet another ill informed tiler dealing with calcuim sulphate floor .thats 12 years and still running and still no clear answerers we should be given a floor with all the spec for laying only all the prep should be done by others who laid the floor .not left to tiler with no info its about time tilers have leared to say no way you give me a spec for the tile i am fixing and the adhesive to use and put this in writing .stop being the scape goat .these floors have a high failure rate compared to any other .but we all ways carry the can .stop say no give me the fixing spec in writing and sign it .its then there problem not ours .

T

The D

So many questions. was the prep done. was the floor dry. did anyone do a moisture test. how long was the floor down. what type exactly was the floor. Is it evens suitable for a conservatory. In this type of scenario you need to be like a dog with a bone do not let it go until you have found out why this has happened. It may be a case of incorrect fixing but it sounds to me like there is an issue with the tiles and weather they are suitable for UFH. There is an issue with the sub floor and the preparation to make it suitable to tile on to. This needs to be looked in to and find out what should have been done and why it was not.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Reaction score
:thumbsdown:Hi everyone I'm sitting in my conservatory looking at my mess of a WHITE crystal resin based floor 60 x 60 x15mm mirror tiles 52 square metres of it,. These are laid over a calcuim sulphate heated floor. Every tile is now dished and all the grout is seperated. they rock around as you walk on them. This floor was laid by "professionals" who I will not name. They got the job because they made a good job of the Black Mirror Crystal WORKTOPS which they advertised as the best OF the WORLD .two years ago. As there is no hope of getting my money back can anyone suggest a good way to remove " standard tile cement off the backs. bal one pack Its well notched and about 5mm thick. The tiles have completely uncoupled from the C/S floor with no damage its liae nothing was ever there . i want to reuse them if possible on a Ditra matting. The dishing is about 2 mm point to point Also any suggestions on a bonding agent ( C/S floor to mat and mat to tiles) would be appreciated.

Hi there digbysdad, those sort of tiles aren't suitable for underfloor heated floors, they should never have been fitted in that area in the first place, a polished stone would probably have been cheaper and harder wearing like white granite for instance. It's extremely unlikely you'll be refunded because the tiles were specified incorrectly, your only course of action is against those who fitted the floor. I hope you get it resolved with them, I wish you the best of luck with that.
:thumbsup:

T

The D

Hi there digbysdad, those sort of tiles aren't suitable for underfloor heated floors, they should never have been fitted in that area in the first place, a polished stone would probably have been cheaper and harder wearing like white granite for instance. It's extremely unlikely you'll be refunded because the tiles were specified incorrectly, your only course of action is against those who fitted the floor. I hope you get it resolved with them, I wish you the best of luck with that.
:thumbsup:
I fail to see why it is the tilers fault

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I was thinking of the supply company more than the tiler, because at the end of the day, the tiler can agree to fit the product, but still not be liable, just got to make sure you cover your reputation, but the sellers of the product that specified the tile as suitable should be liable for this. I can see that I put fitted in there, not the right choice of word clearly.

Reply to Crystal Resin Floor Disaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen