Search the forum,

Discuss Confused by trowel notch sizes. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

If you want more coverage than 70% coverage then you need to use a solid bed trowel.....
A solid bed trowel is one that has notches that are deeper than they are wide...
thus when the tile is pressed into the bed it will spread out and create a solid fix....

hope this helps edd.....:grin:

P

Perry

if any of you find any trowel that i can put tiles straight on the floor with 100 % coverage let know please i use 13mm trowels put tile down pick tile up put more adhesive under tile put tile down, square half round oblong triangular whatever , every situation is different every tile is different every floor is different if only it was that easy:pete

D

DHTiling

wow..wow...stuff the trowel sizes edd..........

let us know wot she has mate......we will be waiting.....

T

tiler burden

hi dave

i know what we are having already..a boy!! we have 2 boys already and i think the wife secretly wanted a girl, so the she asked the nurse at the scan, what the sex was...dont get me wong, she is over the moon with another boy but its a problem for me as i'll have to keep going till we have a girl. i'm 39 next month so the clock is ticking!!!!!!!

ed

T

tiler burden

JESUS PETE!!!

IN WHAT ORDER DID THE KIDS COME..SODS LAW WE'LL HAVE 4 BOYS BEFORE A GIRL.

we are off to australia to live end of the year begining of 2009 and we dont have any parents or family to rely on, so my wife in her wisdom has decided to create a mafia to look after us when we are old lol

but you right about the trying bit tho ;0)

ed

A

agwill

Thanks to all for the advise. I'm still a little confused by the size though. Should I ignore the spec and data sheet? Will 10mm notches/half-round produce approximately a 5-6mm final bed thickness?
Thanks again for all your time.

P

Pawelzik

Hello agwill & welcome to the forums. As we have all the same technics and facing the same problems but having different national rules I show you wich notch sizes are to preferably ro be taken in Germany:
Tile lenght up to 50 mm -> Notch trowel 3x3x3 mm*
Tile length 50 - 108 mm -> Notch trowel 4x4x4 mm*
Tile length 108 - 200 mm -> Notch trowel 6x6x6 mm*
Tile length over 200 mm -> Notch trowel 8x8x8 mm*
Tile length over 300 mm -> Notch trowel 10x10x10 mm or half round 10 mm or half round 12 mm**
* As a rule
** As a recommendation
Greetings from north Germany, Martin

T

tiler burden

many thanks pawelzik,

your help is very much appreciated ;0)

ed
----
do we have any similar guides lines in the uk? or is there any bs standards literature out there that gives recommended guide lines for trowel depth / regarding tiles size?? i totally appreciate that its not the tile sixe alone that determines the trowel size but its a good guide line to go off

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Confused by trowel notch sizes. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen