Search the forum,

Discuss Chiselled edge travertine laid in french pattern ( grout joints ) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

peegee tips

It is a common fault with some pattern sets.... i tend to trim them if there is the odd tight one and if chiselled edge then you can use the tile nips to replicate the effect on the cut edge... and once grouted will look great
I was contemplating doing this, as I did it on a slate floor once, was just wondering how the 'doctored' cut edge would look once grouted....I think i'll have a word with the customer & see what they prefer.
I guess it would be better if those 150x150 were actually 150 x 145 :thumbsup:
Thanks for your inputs folks.

S

simon1

Sorry but had to bath the nippers (guv's orders) hence the extra post.

would take too long to trim and replicate the edge of this one, Roman Opus with 12 tiles to the pattern and 4 would of had to be adjusted.

Dry laid, openning the joints slightly for the customer. They liked it before grouting and loved it after as they could not see what the poblem was

D

doug boardley

whenever I've laid chisel edged tiles, I've always put the joints as tight as I dare, as when grouted the joint always looks wider anyway:thumbsup:

W

wetdec

Hi Everyone,
With this kind of travertine being laid in the french pattern, how do you accommodate the smaller square tile in the pattern?
On dry laying the tiles, the smaller square seems to be the one that throws the grout joints out. Am i'm right in saying that the smaller square should be of a slightly different size. If you dry lay them on the floor they with no grout joints they fit perfectly.
Anyone got the solution or will the joints just have to vary?
Many Thanks.

Any stone fixer worth his badge will tell you they are cut smaller for a reason without them smaller it throws your lines everywhere.

If you have a 40x20 and put 2 x 20x20 against the long side you have no grout gap so messes up the pattern.

Each module will have small tiles an equal number of 20x20 & 19x19 (vary depending on pattern) this will then give you the grout line and dictate the spacing for the whole module.

Trick is to sort your small format tiles into 2 piles before you start.

Granted some producers mess it up but its there for a reason and with good trav or stone it works...........:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peegee tips

Wetdecs, can you explain what you mean??

The trav that i've been given doesn't have any slightly smaller, small format tiles. They are all exactly half the width of the next size tile up....& so on.

I take it you mean that some suppliers take the pattern into consideration & make the smaller tile " smaller" at the cutting stage & therefore keeping the grout joints regular?

If im barking up the wrong tree then by all means correct me :2thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Any stone fixer worth his badge will tell you they are cut smaller for a reason without them smaller it throws your lines everywhere.

If you have a 40x20 and put 2 x 20x20 against the long side you have no grout gap so messes up the pattern.

Each module will have small tiles an equal number of 20x20 & 19x19 (vary depending on pattern) this will then give you the grout line and dictate the spacing for the whole module.

Trick is to sort your small format tiles into 2 piles before you start.

Granted some producers mess it up but its there for a reason and with good trav or stone it works...........:thumbsup:

Where's my badge! - Prehaps it got lost in the post.
I think that is what PG tips is trying to explain. The small tiles are all the same size and as you've rightly pointed out it is messing up his pattern.
He must of got them from the same manufacturer that I always seem to get when I purchase this pattern. Funny how they arrive in pre collated sets and yet they still don't fit!
As previously stated a bit of wet saw work is often required.

P

peegee tips

Where's my badge! - Prehaps it got lost in the post.
I think that is what PG tips is trying to explain. The small tiles are all the same size and as you've rightly pointed out it is messing up his pattern.
He must of got them from the same manufacturer that I always seem to get when I purchase this pattern. Funny how they arrive in pre collated sets and yet they still don't fit!
As previously stated a bit of wet saw work is often required.

Yep....you got it.

Oh well....I have 2 options, just a bummer its chiselled edge!

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback. :thumbsup:

Reply to Chiselled edge travertine laid in french pattern ( grout joints ) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen