Currently reading:
chalk line v laser level

Discuss chalk line v laser level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sWe

I treat brick bond just the same as a regular grid pattern. If the pattern's horisontal, no prob there; if it's vertical, no prob either, as you'll still have a line to go by every other tile. Put ya spirit level on top of the top most tiles if it helps.

Edit: I tend to use chalk most of the time as well, but in certain situations, especially on REALLY large surfaces, I find lasers useful. Lasers and mid sized rooms, ie fairly large bathrooms, are a good combo though, I must admit.

As for lines distorting: Good lasers + laser visibility goggles = spanking good.

Thx for the compliment btw :thumbsup:

Edit: I've been thinking of getting one of those small 90 degree angle lasers for a while. They seem useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pjtiler

I treat brick bond just the same as a regular grid pattern. If the pattern's horisontal, no prob there; if it's vertical, no prob either, as you'll still have a line to go by every other tile. Put ya spirit level on top of the top most tiles if it helps.

Edit: I tend to use chalk most of the time as well, but in certain situations, especially on REALLY large surfaces, I find lasers useful. Lasers and mid sized rooms, ie fairly large bathrooms, are a good combo though, I must admit.

As for lines distorting: Good lasers + laser visibility goggles = spanking good.

Thx for the compliment btw :thumbsup:

Edit: I've been thinking of getting one of those small 90 degree angle lasers for a while. They seem useful.

there fantastic really great on big floors

M

muffinman

you can not beat a laser on a trypod in a bathroom to set datum line , you can move a laser line ,Leaveing no marks on the walls , the old pencil way , just let me say two or three datum lines on the wall at once , take your eye off it or you get destacted then you pick then rong datum line ,we have all done it , so I say laser all the time in bathrooms ,

on floors I use the laser over a large area to take a mesurement if running into two or three rooms as i can move the laser to the correct position, once this is done ,then I use a chalk line and set out , beats putting tiles down dry and a lot quicker ,
excuse the spelling , hope it makes sence

D

DHTiling

Just to add to this..........You should also be able to set a room or floor out with out the aid of a laser level .....

1. It is a skill all tilers should be capable of....

2. You might just go to set your laser up and the batteries could be flat or the laser broken...then what do you do if you can't set a room out the traditional way.......

But they are a great add on for fixers to help with the speed of setting out.....

Tiling is a hand--eye skill so get used to using a level etc when setting out as well.......:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Just to add to this..........You should also be able to set a room or floor out with out the aid of a laser level .....

1. It is a skill all tilers should be capable of....

2. You might just go to set your laser up and the batteries could be flat or the laser broken...then what do you do if you can't set a room out the traditional way.......

But they are a great add on for fixers to help with the speed of setting out.....

Tiling is a hand--eye skill so get used to using a level etc when setting out as well.......:thumbsup:
I agree with what you are saying Dave. My question earlier in the thread about brick bond was posted because I wondered if it would make keeping the brick bond lines easier.

I am currently doing my first vertical brick bond in a bathroom (full) and what a pain inthe 'arris it is! Have to check every column and every 2nd course with the level, and was just wondering if a laser would've helped keep track of the line?

I have been doing it a week now with 200x100 tiles 17m2!!!!!!

S

sWe

A tip would be to use a measurement tape or a folding ruler.

I made a picture to illustrate. Measure the x, y, z and use those as guide numbers. That way, you only need to measure every few tiles per column. The longer the distance, the smaller the margin of error becomes. Also, make a new datum line with your spirit level about a quarter up and down the wall.

Works perfectly well around windows and doors as well.

Attachments

• vertibond.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 130

Reply to chalk line v laser level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.