Currently reading:
Cardinal sin - tools

Discuss Cardinal sin - tools in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

Multitool with the rasp then low grit sanding attachment worked for me. Get the bulk of the crud off with the rasp then sand the thin stubborn bit off down to the metal. But only done once, never had to do it again.

This was one of my first hard learnt lessons. Now, I have a bucket of water close by, mainly for cleaning off excess adhesive from tiles, but also every 15 minutes to half an hour or so I wipe my trowel down with a sponge or old white pad. Same when I'm grouting with my grout float.

T

Time's Ran Out

When I was an apprentice my tradesmen always told me to buy the best tools I could afford and that way you will always look after them! Still stick to it ( one gauger I have is 30 years old and quarter its size)
Sound like Trigger and his road broom!
'Look after your broom'
Dave said (Rodney) ' and your broom will look after you'.
'No - just look after your broom'.
20 heads and 15 shanks later!!

B

Blunt Tool

Sound like Trigger and his road broom!
'Look after your broom'
Dave said (Rodney) ' and your broom will look after you'.
'No - just look after your broom'.
20 heads and 15 shanks later!!
Painter I was working with was varnishing staircase so got him to sand and revarnish my Rabone Chesterman boat level, good as new again he polished up the brass!!

O

Old Mod

When I was an apprentice my tradesmen always told me to buy the best tools I could afford and that way you will always look after them! Still stick to it ( one gauger I have is 30 years old and quarter its size)

Don't, reading that makes me mad! I had a gauger last year that was thieved on a job, I'd had it for 10 years and was perfect!
Who would want a gauging trowel that badly.
Makes my blood boil!

I can see another thread here!

Yeah you should start one TJ.
I'll start looking in my van/store now and then I'll start making a list of how much of my kit is holidaying in Newcastle! Give me a few weeks and I should be 50% there! That's if my pen and pad ain't gone as well!!!!
:tearsofjoy:

T

Terry the tiler

I have a stiff cleaning brush brought from an industrial cleaning company Hugh crane. I clean my tools every time a I do a new mix and at the end of the day.
I havent done it myself but a plastering friend has left his trowel (only the steel, not handle) in brick acid or an alkaline residue cleaner will probably work too, overnight. Tolls will come out cleaner than the day you brought them

Reply to Cardinal sin - tools in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
I like DIY projects. Figured I'd try my hand at removing cracked grout in my shower and replace it with caulk. To remove the old grout I used a oscillating tool with diamond edged grout remover...
Replies
Views
Daniels
D
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

You're browsing the Tiling Tools category on TilersForums.com. Find the correct trowels to use with which type of tiling. Find advice on lash clips and levelling systems and more.