Search the forum,

Discuss Can't get my layout right around a window in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grovetile

I am using large tiles - 300 x 600 mm and the window is 593mm wide. So doing a brick bond pattern I couldn't avoid but to end up with slivers of tiles if I make the tiles symmetrical around the window. Any suggestions?

thanks

D

doug boardley

I see your problem, what about putting a tiled "mullion" round the window gap? it'd look better than slivers imo:thumbsup:

G

grovetile

That was quick!
Er... a tiled mullion? 'Scuse my ignorance, but what's that?
I looked up mullion and it says a vertical structural piece.
thanks

D

doug boardley

two vertical columns, one either side of window gap, and two horizontal, one top and one bottom. I'd do 45 degree mitres as well. Struggling to explain it well, it'd look like a frame around the window gap that your brick bond can meet upto without any awkward/unsightly slivers

G

grovetile

two vertical columns, one either side of window gap, and two horizontal, one top and one bottom. I'd do 45 degree mitres as well. Struggling to explain it well, it'd look like a frame around the window gap that your brick bond can meet upto without any awkward/unsightly slivers

Ok I know what you mean now. I think the tiles are sooo big though that I couldn't use them as a frame. I am going to do a slate border to the room, so maybe I could do something with mosaic tiles...? But that might look a bit fussy.

D

doug boardley

Ok I know what you mean now. I think the tiles are sooo big though that I couldn't use them as a frame. I am going to do a slate border to the room, so maybe I could do something with mosaic tiles...? But that might look a bit fussy.
it depends on the field tiles I think, mosaics may make it look too busy, slate may darken round the window ( an area that should be light and airy imo)

D

doug boardley

I'd go with the mullions then, but that's only my personal opinion! everybody has their own idea of what looks best:thumbsup:
good luck and post us some pics when you've done it

S

smurf21

You dont have to use the whole tile as a mullion just cut them down to 100mm to form your frame and make a feature of the window can see this might look quite good... 25 years in and never thought of doing this before ..ever....... you never stop learning..:thumbsup:

G

grovetile

You dont have to use the whole tile as a mullion just cut them down to 100mm to form your frame and make a feature of the window can see this might look quite good... 25 years in and never thought of doing this before ..ever....... you never stop learning..:thumbsup:

So what would you have done then - in 25 years you must've come up with a similar problem?!

thanks all...

S

smurf21

No ive allways set out to take the biggest cuts poss around the window im just saying its a good idea to make a feature when doing a half bond pattern.:thumbsup:
center your window and set out full tile from center then your getting half tiles up the side of your window

Last edited by a moderator:
S

smurf21

Attachments

• 01-08-2009 18;11;07.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 79
G

grovetile

Phew!Thanks for doing that for me Smurf21.
Trying to get that, but I think I must be missing something.

Rather than taking off the 3.5mm per side, wouldn't that need to be added to take up the missing 7mm from the window (when compared to a tile?)?

Where the two tiles meet mid way below the window, say, then there is 303.5 mm sticking out either side. So the 'half bricks' would need to stick out 303.5 from the window to line up. If I cut 3.5mm off the full tiles, it would then mean the lines wouldn't match further away from the window.

Or am I missing something? Sorry about this.... I may be being a bit of a :dunce2:....

Reply to Can't get my layout right around a window in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen