Search the forum,

Discuss building a wooden fence in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Alright guys, any advice on building a wooden fence (4ft ish) , my plan: dig holes for pre treated posts (every 2 meters) then plant posts in cement ( about a foot) make sure they are all plumb, then screw in the horizontal bits then the slats. Any further advice would be great if any of you guys have done this before.

D

DHTiling

Posts should be 1.5 mtrs apart , so you get 2 posts to a 3 mtr rail.. so that is one on the middle and one at each end , so 2 rail ends fasten to that post...

I used to help father in-law who is a fencer when i was younger.. and if rails are 4 mtr ones then ye go 2 mtr centres.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I think there's a system now that does without cementing the posts, they call it meta posts or something like it, not sure how good / bad they are, iirc it's to make post replacement easier, or could just be to make money lol

D

DHTiling

Quite poor IMO ALan... my new fence around the garden i used the post mix bags.. about 3 quid each from B and poo warehouse.. and does 2 posts if you beat bricks in as well..

OP.. make sure min depth 500mm for posts holes..

I

Ian

Yeah the meta posts are poor, the problem is that the wooden posts move around in them when it's windy, not a very secure structure and eventually falls down. I speak from personal experience!

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You gonna put a gravel rail alongthe bottom?

T

tfs

1800mm centres for posts rails as timber merchants are generally 3600mm. Plant the posts to 600mm depth. I would use 4x4 posts. I did the holes to the depth of 600mm with a width of around 300 for a good solid fence. You can use post mix to speed uop the process and it generally works fine for this type of fence when the holes are not too wide.

Cut a slope on the top of the fence posts to let water fall away (treat with a trade sealer)

If you realy want to go the distance run you rails through a table saw (or use circular saw) to create an angle/fall on them too to prevent water sitting on them.

Use anular ring shank nails to prevent them going loose with weather change or use screws but you will be there all day though unless you have a colated gun. This is where as paslode does its magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

check every few boards with a level to ensure they are running plumb. I normaly aim to have a gap of 19mm between boards and can usea spare board to keep this margin equal or make your own spacer to whatever size.

Reply to building a wooden fence in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen