Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom: Sloping ceiling border woes :-( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gez777

I've got a bit of a problem I hope someone can advise me with. I'm tiling my bathroom and I have a sloping ceiling at one end.
I am tiling the flat walls in white 25cmx33cm tiles. Where the slope meets the low flat wall I am planning on adding a border tile to
finish the join, and then continue this border around the middle of the rest of the flat walls.
The problem I have got is if I start with a whole tile above and below the border, below I go down to the floor with a nice half tile,
but above the border i go to the ceiling with around an inch gap from the last full tile. I had hoped to use full tiles either side of
the border, but it looks like I might have to cut a tile and split it over the border :-( I have tried laying them out upright and on their s
ides and I still get this small gap. Any thoughts? Has anyone worked through a similar problem? Instead of having the border in the
middle of the flat walls, i could always continue it could always continue it up from the join in the sloping wall and run it along the top
of the flat walls I suppose - I just think it would look better with the border at mid height?

Many thanks for any thoughts, Gez.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
can you not raise the tile so you have three quarter tile to the floor and loose the inch at the top, i normaly try and get my boarders approx 1.2 meters from the floor..

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don't be too determined to run a border at an exact height as it doesn't usually work, as Andy says lower or raise the border to give decent sized cuts at floor and ceiling.

G

gez777

Don't be too determined to run a border at an exact height as it doesn't usually work, as Andy says lower or raise the border to give decent sized cuts at floor and ceiling.

I am a bit stuck with the height as it is where the slope starts on the end wall, I can't go up as I don't want to run the border on the slope - as it's part of the ceiling - and going down would leave a small gap before the ceiling slope starts and i was planning on using the border to divide Ceiling and wall.

G

gez777

Thanks for the advice guys, I think my best bet might be to run the border where I have to on the wall with the sloping ceiling and then step it up in a sort of 'Z' onto the flat walls to raise it a borders width (65mm) and loose my bad ceiling gap this way. Either that or cut a main tile in half and put it either side of the border - think that would look a bit sore though :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Bathroom: Sloping ceiling border woes :-( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen