Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Refit Questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

J4CK THE RIPPER

Started a complete bathroom refit and just wanted to ask a few questions.

1. Brought Topps new tanking kit (homelux waterproof matting) for around showerbath area 5 m2 the topps rep recomended using rapidset flexible to fit matting would it be ok to use BAL Grip ready mixed to tile over matting?

2. When removing old tiles large areas of plaster had blown on one part of wall i knocked all the lose stuff and was going to plaster with one coat plaster is this ok to tile onto?

3. On the floor i have removed floor boards and was going to reinforce the joists with noggiins and use tonge and groove chipboard 18mm then coat the back and edges of 12mm plywith BAL bond SBR and screw over the top at 300 centers. Would BAL rapidset flexi and microflex wide joint grout be ok to use?

I have done some research on what materials would be best to use but would like some experienced advice (and tips).

Thank You in advance.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

I would use a cement based adhesive onto the homelux wall membrane not dispersion.....and fastflex on the floor...

J

J4CK THE RIPPER

Dave could i add BAL admix GT1 to rapid set flexible rather than using fastflex.

D

DHTiling

NO!!! but you can add AD1 to rapidset.......GT1 is for grout and you can't add extra flex additive to products that are already flexible...( up-sets the chemistry)..

If the floor is solid...then rapid set flexible will work but bal won't guarantee it unless 15mm and over.......:thumbsup:

J

J4CK THE RIPPER

Ok mate got ya i think the floor is going to be well solid enough but i understand about the garantee. BS may aswell be 18mm as i cant find 15mm plly anywhere. I will use cement based addy for the matting thanks for advice.

By the way what are your thoughts on waterproof matting as i know alot of tilers use the paint on stuff.I can see more benefits from matting cheaper, tile onto straight away etc.

D

DHTiling

I prefer using a membrane over solution kits anytime.......much easier and quicker.......i normally use schluters kerdi but have been using the homelux one as well as CTD stock it now and it's only £5 a mtr but you have to buy it on the roll 5mtrs at a time......but seen as most showers are 4 to 6 mtrs then its ok.....

J

J4CK THE RIPPER

Blimey thats cheap Topps are knocking out 5m2 at £50 Reail £45 Trade no CTD in my area though.

As you have used it could you tell me if i wrong?

Do you have to use flexible to hang the stuff? or will normal rapidset do?

Thanks again

D

DHTiling

Normal will do.....you use what ever cement based adhesive is suitable for the substrate.....priming with suitable primer .......

p.s. must be rapid-setting adhesive if tiling onto membrane same day.....:thumbsup:

Reply to Bathroom Refit Questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen