Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom floor in new build on Chipboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

thegwads

hi
starting job on monday. a new extension on a pretty large house. Anyway, development company wants me to tile the bathroom floor, upstairs. Already laid with 25mm chipboard, and i do not think it is the green shiny stuff.
I recently did a repair job on a new build house which had tiles laid directly on to the chipboard staright away, and allowed no time for the house to settle. As a result, massive cracks along the tiles on the chipboard join, where the movement of the chipboard boards occured.
So, i have stated my reservations about tiling on to chipboard, and indeed to tile any new build. Have recommended waiting a year for settling, then tile. Also, not possible to 18mm ply as the floor levels will be out and not acceptable. The development company are cool, and if i am not happy, do not do it. Also, the workmanship is of the highest quality i have ever seen. There is no movement at all on the chipboard. I do however want to fully cover myself. So will no more ply, ditra matting, or hardibacker be a suitable thing to use.
I want to use ditra, as no screwing involved ( I think), will this be fine to use?
Any suggestions how tyo tackle this would be massively appreciated! i.e. what addy to use, the exact process, with priming etc???????

cheers

G

grumpygrouter

if you are positive tha the floor is solid, i would be inclined to use ditra or durabase. At least then you ahve a bit of security against lateral movement. Won't help against flexing though.

Reply to Bathroom floor in new build on Chipboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen