Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Diy Job in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Chucky_Chan

Thanks,

Budget is no issue for materials and I 'm five mins drive from suppliers, issue I have is that if I add decoupling then it will raise the floor by an additional 5-6mm? This will put the toilet cistern at an awkward level on my panelling as I hadn't planned for an increase in floor height :/

Also, lots of people say PVA is fine for sealing ply subfloor pre tiling but others say it doesn't work at all. There's so many different opinions online it's hard to Know what is right/wrong and what is overkill.

O

Old Mod

Thanks,

Budget is no issue for materials and I 'm five mins drive from suppliers, issue I have is that if I add decoupling then it will raise the floor by an additional 5-6mm? This will put the toilet cistern at an awkward level on my panelling as I hadn't planned for an increase in floor height :/

Also, lots of people say PVA is fine for sealing ply subfloor pre tiling but others say it doesn't work at all. There's so many different opinions online it's hard to Know what is right/wrong and what is overkill.
DO NOT USE PVA!
Use the primer recommended by adhesive manufacturer of SBR only.
PVA breaks down when it comes into contact with moisture and is definately not suitable.
If you want a low profile decoupler you ca get something like Tilemaster's anti fracture mat or Bal's rapid mat, they're less than 1mm thick.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
There's no such thing as overkill, it's just belt and braces. PVA is a definite no in any tiling situation. A quick search on this forum will give you the info you need on PVA, it's a question often asked. Tilesmaster, Bal and Norcros all do an anti crack mat less than 2mm thick, i think Mapei do one also but my knowledge of Mapei products is slim.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
DO NOT USE PVA!
Use the primer recommended by adhesive manufacturer of SBR only.
PVA breaks down when it comes into contact with moisture and is definately not suitable.
If you want a low profile decoupler you ca get something like Tilemaster's anti fracture mat or Bal's rapid mat, they're less than 1mm thick.
Beat me to it by about 30 seconds!

C

Chucky_Chan

Ok, good stuff.

I'm happy to use a matt in that case. So I just use a 3mm layer of addy then lay matt, then tile as normal over matt?

Do I need to use any special primer for the ply or matt?

C

Chucky_Chan

Ok, good stuff.

I'm happy to use a matt in that case. So I just use a 3mm layer of addy then lay matt, then tile as normal over matt?

Do I need to use any special primer for the ply or matt?

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
The bag of addy will recommend a primer or just use sbr, lay the matt in a tight bed and use the flat side to really push it in. No need to prime the matt. Good to tile over next day. Some say you can tile over straight away but if you need to lift a tile it'll pull the matt with it.

Reply to Bathroom Diy Job in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen