Search the forum,

Discuss Bath Sealing Strip in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Minnie those walls look a little, er rough shall we say, would you be able to skim up them with a little bit of adhesive? from the right of the crack in the wall to the left it looks like about 3mm difference, doing it now will save you time later. The crack itself? is it stable? is the plaster loose because it usually is around a crack like that. You could buy a couple of sheets of mosaics and use them on the shelf ledge, that might help you instead of trying to match up grout lines. Don't forget to prime the walls first with an acrylic bond. However you do that area over the sink you might have to split the tiles and that will not look good if you cant get the silicone to cover the joint. I would try for a mosaic band over the sink as well.

:thumbsup:

Or maybe a large tile in a contrasting colour to form a solid one piece cill ?

M

Minnie

Minnie those walls look a little, er rough shall we say, would you be able to skim up them with a little bit of adhesive? from the right of the crack in the wall to the left it looks like about 3mm difference, doing it now will save you time later. The crack itself? is it stable? is the plaster loose because it usually is around a crack like that. You could buy a couple of sheets of mosaics and use them on the shelf ledge, that might help you instead of trying to match up grout lines. Don't forget to prime the walls first with an acrylic bond. However you do that area over the sink you might have to split the tiles and that will not look good if you cant get the silicone to cover the joint. I would try for a mosaic band over the sink as well.

Oh, I already did something with that. Probably not the ideal solution, but I made the shelf smaller :thumbsup:

9732329-82b

If I didn't, then I would have been left with the funny angles that were there before, right down to the bottom past the sink, as they are here. I didn't want the little cut-offs as seen below, so I got rid of the angled bit of wall instead.

9270447-bbc

and it's now looking like this. Whilst obviously not an expert job, I think it's better than little cut-offs or having to fill at a strange angle.

9757742-b3e

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Minnie

The crack itself? is it stable? is the plaster loose because it usually is around a crack like that. You could buy a couple of sheets of mosaics and use them on the shelf ledge, that might help you instead of trying to match up grout lines. Don't forget to prime the walls first with an acrylic bond. However you do that area over the sink you might have to split the tiles and that will not look good if you cant get the silicone to cover the joint. I would try for a mosaic band over the sink as well.

The crack's been there for years and doesn't seem to have got worse. I just stuck polyfilla in. If it holds for another 2 years, all well and good, as that's when Council is supposed to replace bathrooms and kitchens. If it doesn't.... ho hum :lol:

As for the mosaics, I'd ordered just enough to do a border with some extra that might do the vertical splashback in front of the sink. Considering they were meant to arrive on Friday, and are now not scheduled to arrive 'til Tuesday, it's already put the job on hold as I have another row of tiles to do above the mosaics. There won't be enough for the horizontal bit of the shelf as well and I'd have to pay about £13 delivery if I ordered another sheet. :thumbsdown:

M

Minnie

Depends on your taste but its food for thought. A nice marble tile maybe or even travertine.

I was originaly going to go for Travertine but went off the whole idea. Can't remember why though.

Wonders about black marble, or a beigey marble.

Are you talking just the horizontal and vertical bit of the shelf or the whole area?

Anyway, with broken down heating and no hot water, my fingers are now too cold to type so I'm going to pub.:thumbsup:

Reply to Bath Sealing Strip in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen