Search the forum,

Discuss Argh!!! Know-it-all builders!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Muse2k8

Recently Ive had to go work for a building company to ensure I was actually getting money... Beginning to lose my hair though!

Latest job for example... ripped out a bathroom and re-piped for one of his lads coming in to put up plasterboard and plaster. Plasterboard was only for boxwork and wont be tiled. Anyway the custard wants the shower area tiled so obviously thats my job. So before I go in I hear that the bathroom will be painted first. So I pipe up and tell them I dont want the tiled area to be painted, "Oh but the plasterer says that its better tiling onto the paint than the plaster". I argue and argue that I dont want it painted and to leave the plaster bare for me to prime with SBR... go in today and boom... they have painted it because the plasterer apparently knows better than the tiler! Brilliant...

So I will recieve the tiles and adhesive tomorrow. I asked for ctf4 and what do I end up with... bleeding homebase tubbed!!!!!!! For a shower!!! On painted walls!!!

And to top it off the walls were only plastered a week ago!!!

Apparently his 35+ years of experience means that my knowledge is worthless!

I'm in limbo here... I either refuse to do it and end up unemployed again or I do it against all my best judgement argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Tell them to take the adhesive back for a refund then get them to buy the correct adhesive. Then I'd ask them to rub the walls down or you could do it yourself and bill them for it, or not........ Depends how bad you want the job. If they were trying to make me use tubbed addy on paint then personally I'd walk

W

White Room

It's your judgement but I know where I would be and thats walking and throwing a few verbals in the process.

M

Muse2k8

Ill definitely be getting the addy swapped... Worst thing for it! His comeback was, "Ive never had a problem with it!"

Even if I can only get mapei cement its going to be 1000 times better. Ill talk to the gaffer tomorrow though cos I aint tiling onto paint... not a chance! Ill be charging extra too if they dont do it for me.

P

Perry

Just speak to the boss and say I don't want to be as bad as the rest of the guys on site but I have a greater knowledge of tiling than the plasterer if you prefer me to tile it as it is wrong i will i am just trying to use my skill to help you

P

Peter

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. The only stance to take with builders is to stick to your guns and eventually it starts sinking in.

C

charlie1

Builder I have been working for recently have been very poor, 2 bathrooms, walls are plasterboard and timber stud, some of them running out an inch over a 2m leanth, I insisted they put right, they dot fanned plaster board over it and done a very poor job so then they decided to plaster over that! Total cowboys!...

Then in kitchen ares there was an access pannel that required tiling, so 1st the poured in self levelling then I tiled, guess what.... They could not lift the hatch anymore as it was too heavy so smashed the whole thing up!, now I need to retile!

I sofa king hate builders!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Ahh, Charlie if that's the same guy that your other post is about i think i understand why the tiles weren't paid for. Working like that? It would be no surprise if they have cashflow issues.

Reply to Argh!!! Know-it-all builders!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen