Search the forum,

Discuss another chipboard query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

firm I'm subbying to have decided to do away with ply overlay on bathroom floors, at my suggestion, but they've caught me cold, I've always tiled onto overlayed ply and not sure of best method to tile onto chipboard (22mm,well screwed, with a moisture resistant coat on top).Looking for some advice so I don't look a fool!:thumbsup:
cheers
Doug

O

oldgit

if its the waxed top type chip you will be advised to steer clear,but i would find out what the coating is,if its just waterproof green chipboard then i would use any 2pt,topps are now doing 2pt palace rebranded topps for £16 this cover about 3.5 mts

A

AllurePTS

I cant help wondering why you suggested it doug ??? ........if they are doing their upstairs floors in 22mm ....tell them to double dwang the joists and do the bathroom in 18mm marine ply INSTEAD of chipboard (if they are all getting tiled that is) - problem solved.

D

doug boardley

it's not the moisture resistant green board, it's grey resinous looking topping,seen it hundreds of times, just can't think what it's called!

P

Perry

firm I'm subbying to have decided to do away with ply overlay on bathroom floors, at my suggestion, but they've caught me cold, I've always tiled onto overlayed ply and not sure of best method to tile onto chipboard (22mm,well screwed, with a moisture resistant coat on top).Looking for some advice so I don't look a fool!:thumbsup:
cheers
Doug
one of the best ways is to overlay it with 12mm ply : pete

D

doug boardley

I cant help wondering why you suggested it doug ??? ........if they are doing their upstairs floors in 22mm ....tell them to double dwang the joists and do the bathroom in 18mm marine ply INSTEAD of chipboard (if they are all getting tiled that is) - problem solved.
It's a massive new build mate,floors were down and studs up months before I suggested it

D

doug boardley

one of the best ways is to overlay it with 12mm ply : pete
that's what we've always done Pete, but because I've (stupidly?) suggested there might be an alternative,site agent is keen to try one to get over step issues:thumbsup:

P

Perry

that's what we've always done Pete, but because I've (stupidly?) suggested there might be an alternative,site agent is keen to try one to get over step issues:thumbsup:
I quite often tile on chipboard with just decoupling matting but it is 40mm thick with steel joists at 300 centers that would be an alternative for him. :lol: I always use a reducing strip the same width as the door only has to slope 10mm to the hight of the carpet : pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to another chipboard query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen