Discuss Angle Grinder Disc Question in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

newreno

Hi everyone,

My dad's just given me his old cheap angle grinder. It's like this: Broken Link Removed

I'd like to try it out on cutting a few sockets, and maybe also a few curves around a shower tray. It doesn't have to be perfect but I'd like to give it a go.

I have a question about the discs. The ones that are in the set are recessed in the middle like this: http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/grinder-wheel-general.jpg

Do I have to buy diamond discs that are recessed in the middle in the same way? I'm cutting 10mm thick porcelain tiles. Can anyone recommend a cheap diamond blade to get started with that will fit with the grinder? The measurements on the current discs are 115 x 6 x 22.2mm.

Re: the safety aspects, I've read up a fair amount and plan to take it slow!!

Cheers lads.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

newreno

10mm porcelain :) They're pretty tough but I've managed with a fixed bed wet cutter so far.

M

Mr Tiler

ats on here are sound mate, the grinder should also be able to accom the flat disk just simply turn the nut that fits to the thread

C

Concrete guy

porcturbo_600_zpseb5d1f24.jpg

One of these will do the job.

We will ship to Berlin if required.

Type our username in to Google and we're easy to find.

If you require shipping to Germany just select "European" at the checkout delivery choice and will price accordingly for Airmail.

N

newreno

Just found the ATS price list online. Looks like damn good prices. Is there one particular disc that you'd recommend for the situation? Would the Item 2 (Porcelain Tile Continuous Rim Cutting Blade) work just as well as the Item 4 (Premium Thin Turbo Porcelain Diamond Blade)? I assume both should fit if the flat disc isn't an issue for fitting into the grinder. Will the cut on the more expensive blade be noticeably better?

It'd also be good to know roughly how long each disc will last... Probably a difficult question! I'm doing a ca.20m2 bathroom and want to play with the angle grinder as I say. Maybe I should buy two blades?

I'm also looking at a few of the electroplated diamond hole saws for starting the socket holes. Impressed with the prices again. The porcelain's relatively hard but I've cut it with cheap diamond cutters before. Could you give some indication of how many cuts one of these hole saws normally manages?

I'm in the UK until Friday if you can deliver by then?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have the disc (pictured above). They are better and cheaper than the discs from Marcrist & Rubi. For 'normal' usage (like a tiler) then they will last a few months. ATS also do next day delivery. ATS are very well respected on this site. If you buy 2 discs then you will probably not need another one for about a year!

Reply to Angle Grinder Disc Question in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks