Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please - Prep/do I need to prime? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rosco

I did a 2 week tiling course back in October and I'm just about to start my first Job - tiling my brothers nice new kitchen/diner, walls(between units) and the floor.
The walls have been plastered and had a coat of emulsion. Now on the course I'm sure they said DO NOT tile onto emulsion and if in doubt always prime(obviously not with PVA). Having spoke to my mate who actually fitted the kitchen and did the building work - he said to just score the walls and off you go!

So do I need to sand off as much emulsion as poss, then prime OR just score the walls?

I've got 100x100 ceramics going up and I'm using BAL Green Star ready mix with BAL white powdered grout - does this sound OK?

:huh2:

Cheers in advance for any advice!

D

DHTiling

Obviously if it is a freshly plastered wall and then painted..the paint should be a matt one....

Wet the wall up and the paint might just wash off......but deffo needs sanding back and not scoring..then primed..

R

Rosco

Thanks for the reply dave!

The wall was plastered about 4 weeks ago and has recently had 2 coats of matt emulsion.

As I'm using BAL green star adhesive should I be using a BAL primer as recommended on the the back of the tub or just go for a cheaper one?

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks for the reply dave!

The wall was plastered about 4 weeks ago and has recently had 2 coats of matt emulsion.

As I'm using BAL green star adhesive should I be using a BAL primer as recommended on the the back of the tub or just go for a cheaper one?
Green star tub recommends priming???

R

Rosco

Yeah it recommends using 1 of 2 different BAL primers - I wasn't going to prime until I read that!

I take it you'd expect something of the quality of Green Star to have some form of primer already in it???

Reply to Advice please - Prep/do I need to prime? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen