Search the forum,

Discuss A bitumen dilema! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Will they warrant the adhesive Grumpy after following there advice? Will they give it to you in writing?

Not trying to be smart, Ardex are just one manufacture down here who are willing to step up to the plate on the tricky jobs but leave you on your own when things turn sour.
I hope they do if any problems arise Mick as the option I chose, the Feather Finish states that it is suitable for stable adhesive residues in it's literature. The P82 is also suitable for stable painted surfaces and also as a primer for internal asphalt. I am sure the bituminous glues used on stuff like parquet flooring is very similar in its tar like content to asphalt.

S

Spirit

The way that I always try to deal with these dilemmas is to pass the responsibility onto the client. If I have been asked to quote for something in a specific way, i.e. to tile onto bitumen, I would give two quotes, one to carry out the work as requested, but with the proviso that the work cannot be guaranteed as it is not recommended by the adhesive manufacturer, the second quote would be for the method that I was prepared to guarantee. If the customer then insists that the bitumen is tiled over and the tiles lift, they have to accept responsibility.

B

Branty

I hope they do if any problems arise Mick as the option I chose, the Feather Finish states that it is suitable for stable adhesive residues in it's literature. The P82 is also suitable for stable painted surfaces and also as a primer for internal asphalt. I am sure the bituminous glues used on stuff like parquet flooring is very similar in its tar like content to asphalt.
Thats the thing Grumpy. If you have a problem, then the bitumen was obviously not stable enough, which is your call.

G

grumpygrouter

Thats the thing Grumpy. If you have a problem, then the bitumen was obviously not stable enough, which is your call.
It was just the residue Branty, I had manually scraped away anything that would come off, it was just the stuff left that I went over.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Thats 3 pst's protecting bals backside.....:lol:.......as mentioned no adhesive company will advise it but it can be done and they know it.....just no guarentee from them....

As for using a modified leveller then it is no different to using a modified adhesive with the correct primer.....:thumbsup:

T

tommo

Hi, regarding tiling over bitumen, would that be an option to tile over with vinyl (any cheap, self-adhesive) tiles and then lay proper ceramic floor? I am facing that problem in my kitchen at the moment with tiny layer of bitumen on concrete floor. Could someone advise? Thanks

Reply to A bitumen dilema! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen