Search the forum,

Discuss Removing floor tiles & adhesive from concrete floor / prep for tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Kb599

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping to remove floor tiles and tile our kitchen (Just under 8sqm) in the next few weeks.

The existing tiles are around 15 years old installed on a concrete floor which was levelled prior to tiling. They have held up fine over the years,no cracks etc but noticed some of the tiles sound hollow when tapping.

My question is moreso related to the adhesive under the existing tiles as im concerned I'll have a tough job removing from the concrete floor to obtain a flat surface for tiling, so just trying to get some advice in advance so im prepared.

What would be the best way of removing the tile adhesive from the floor?

Im on a tight budget unfortunately and do not have much of a range of tools currently.

I will have a helping hand removing the tiles and another tiler friend will help with the tiling job itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping to remove floor tiles and tile our kitchen (Just under 8sqm) in the next few weeks.

The existing tiles are around 15 years old installed on a concrete floor which was levelled prior to tiling. They have held up fine over the years,no cracks etc but noticed some of the tiles sound hollow when tapping.

My question is moreso related to the adhesive under the existing tiles as im concerned I'll have a tough job removing from the concrete floor to obtain a flat surface for tiling, so just trying to get some advice in advance so im prepared.

Im on a tight budget unfortunately and do not have much of a range of tools currently.

I will have a helping hand removing the tiles and another tiler friend will help with the tiling job itself.

Some hard
Hi All,

Some hard graft with hammers and chisels, floor scrapers, sds breaker with chisel attachment or if the adhesive is sound enough then slc over it if you dont have height concerns, one option is far easier than the other obviously
[automerge]1583426502[/automerge]
Some hard

Some hard graft with hammers and chisels, floor scrapers, sds breaker with chisel attachment or if the adhesive is sound enough then slc over it if you dont have height concerns, one option is far easier than the other obviously
Does your tiler friend not have any advice for you?

Kb599

-
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, i appreciate it! And yes good point will give him a shout he is away on holiday currently so thought best not to pester him with work stuff :)

Reply to Removing floor tiles & adhesive from concrete floor / prep for tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen