Search the forum,

Discuss 10mm Marmox on shower stud walls? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dingabell

Just ripped a shower out and the walls were standard ply just tiled straight on top (hence all the tiles falling off!). It would be handy to grab another couple of mm due to the new tiles being a lot thicker, so I was going to use 10mm Marmox board. Sounds like it's suitable according to Marmox website, but has anyone used this thickness for walls? Also, is the waterproof jointing tape the best way to seal the joins, and are the Marmox screw and cup fixings the best way to fix it?
Many thanks.

Q

Qwerty

Yes, 10mm boards can be used on stud walls but well worth placing closer studs & noggins in the stud work to strengthen it. Marmox recommend 12.5mm on stud walls with 450mm centres. With 10mm boards it's best to aim for 300-350mm
What tiles are going on?
Use any decent plastic or metal screw washers. Marmox & orbry both make them. You can use either the Marmox tape or another tanking tape & gum.

D

dingabell

It's travertine going on it, but not large format.
I would just replace it with 12.5mm but there will be issues getting the shower screen back in and also with the shower valves.
Good call about using extra studs and noggins to strengthen it.

Reply to 10mm Marmox on shower stud walls? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen