Search the forum,

Discuss negative feedback in the Tile Retail Independent Feedback area at TilersForums.com.

R

rich83

I just read a post from guy wanting to shadow a tiler,and in return would offer free labour.I am fully aware initially he would be useless.but the reply he got was why would someone teach you the ropes and then have more competition for work.I'm pretty sure the guy didn't say he wanted to be self employed,he may of hoped for a job out of it.I just thought the comments where unhelpful.I mean everyone needs a leg up don't they.some people are loyal and honest,granted there are alot off tools around but still...I'm in a similar boat to him, I'm wanting to do as many hours with a tiler for free, as I can around a part time evening job.and i probably would do so for at least 3 months.and I most certainly do not want to be self employed. Have any of you guys took someone on and had a good experience.looking for a glimmer of hope here people.

T

The D

I am not trying to be nasty and I am not against peoplebeing trained quite the opposite. I am being honest about the situation. Youwant to pick it up quickly so that you can start earning some good money butfor that to happen the person teaching you has to put in a considerable amountof effort and at the end of the day what has he got out of the deal ????????? You onthe other hand walk away with priceless knowledge and experience. I havetrained a lot of tilers over the years and I have never asked anyone to workfor free but I have never come across a man with a family that can commit tothe time it will take for me to recoup my investment so I have always lost outon the deal

R

rich83

Completely understand. I did 18 month course.am 30 with no commitments,and most def,not a pee taker.but i do get where u r coming from.if someone taught me I'd never forget it.and would preferably stick with them. If I were to work for free for 3 months,then I would hope to become.e more of an assett over time so as their time spent teaching would also eventually benefit them.plus I wouldn't try and rush the situation,mostly mixing ,etc.trying to drum up business,basicly trying to be an assett rather than a liability...plus I'd commit financially with tools and wheels. But yeah I get you're point,its a leap of faith,which bis why I think a trainee tiler shouldn't really expect payment,initially anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Matt

I agree and a good wall makes a good job

Skimmers just skim, proper plasters level walls rather than flatten out of true walls,

D

Dougs Third Go

mixing up really is a pleasure i love it... for the first minute lol. i do it by hand atm as i am trying to get more essential tools i know a mixer is timesaving but i would like to do it the old skool way until i can join a gym lol
but a mechanical whisk mixes the polymers in the adhesive far better than mixing by hand, imo a whisk/drill is an essential ​piece of kit.

M

Mr Tiler

do you mind if I steal a few words off you website to create a prototype andy? lol

Reply to negative feedback in the Tile Retail Independent Feedback area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen