Preparation dried adhesive on ply

Search the forum,

Discuss dried adhesive on ply in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Aldi £9.99
Messy, but cheap and works well.
Just be careful when you get to the ply.
It'll certainly remove the bulk quickly.
image.jpeg

O

Old Mod

This is definately the best scraper I've ever used.
It's bullet proof!
Has a heavy metal rod thro the centre, so clumping it with a hammer is no problem.
I will admit this is the new design and it has wider shoulders than the old, which personally I think hinders the performance a little because it can catch things when being used.
The blades are excellent and sharpest I've come across and sharp enough to shave with!
I kid you not!
Blades also come in two widths, and the wider one is flexible, which is great for wallpaper and paint scraping.
Not cheap tho. :D
Blades are about £6.00 for 10 but well worth it.
Olfa - Scrapers - https://www.olfatools.co.uk/products/6-Scrapers

I

Ian

As I mentioned removing the ply isnt an option unfortunately.
I see, I thought it was maybe a budget issue that there weren't the funds to replace, not that it couldn't be removed. The grinding cup is without doubt the easiest option and not messy if you get a dust extractor for your grinder, other than that, you could remove the highest spots and give it a 3mm or so skim of cement based or glue and screw some 6mm cement board, if there is the depth to play with of course.

M

MTiler

I see, I thought it was maybe a budget issue that there weren't the funds to replace, not that it couldn't be removed. The grinding cup is without doubt the easiest option and not messy if you get a dust extractor for your grinder, other than that, you could remove the highest spots and give it a 3mm or so skim of cement based or glue and screw some 6mm cement board, if there is the depth to play with of course.

Im going to use grinding cup and scraper.
I cant board or skim over it, I have to get down to ply base as theres no depth to play with.

M

MTiler

I fit some of those tiles about a year ago, fired earth if my memory serves me well. I thought they were awful but the client loved them.

That was by the previous tiler, but there'd been problems with boxes not matching even though they were the same batch. In the end I installed different FE mosaics to be paid for by FE.

My next job is a whole bathroom installed with the previous ones :). The previous tiler didnt match a single wall. Worked with them a few times, usually redoing other tilers bodge jobs. Theyre nice but slow to work with. Even some tilers on FE list wont touch them apparently.

O

Old Mod

Funnily enough it was a feature wall that a tiler had previously done and botched them up as well. I agree they aren't the easiest to work with to line up but same old story.... take your time and they aren't too bad. Too much rework these days from bodging idiots.
I'm spotting a theme here Paul, you need a holiday mate! :)

Reply to dried adhesive on ply in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays