Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tanking Down To Shower Tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

I've got a couple of jobs coming up with a fresh bathroom, freshly boarded and plastered walls, small tiles, including two shower areas, I'm gonna tank the wet areas first, it's a shame the shower tray is already fitted as I'm gonna have to tank down to it, was thinking just masking tape it and get as far down as I can with brush, any better ideas?

O

One Day

I've got a couple of jobs coming up with a fresh bathroom, freshly boarded and plastered walls, small tiles, including two shower areas, I'm gonna tank the wet areas first, it's a shame the shower tray is already fitted as I'm gonna have to tank down to it, was thinking just masking tape it and get as far down as I can with brush, any better ideas?
its always a tricky and weak area because you have so little to bond to. I mask approx 15mm from the edge and lap tape such as kerdi keba into the tray. Under the tape i put a generous bead of kerdi-fix or wedi 610 and rely on that to form a strong flexible bond.

O

Old Mod

In situations like that I reckon it's a good idea to use that classi seal that's been mentioned.
I've come across it recently in a failed shower area of a bathroom.
It was stuck to the shower tray, and tbh it's what saved the walls from disaster.
The seal between the wall tiles and the shower was shot to pieces, and if it hadn't been for the classi seal, the walls at the very least would had to been replaced on the lower half.
There was water marks on the floor where it had failed but with the UFH, which was covering the complete shower tray area beneath, it had quickly dried any moisture present whilst the shower was operating.

Classi Seal Shower Tray Sealing Strip and Bath Sealing Strip

F

Flintstone

Looks like something from the 80s. Are you supposed to peel it back and slot it down between the tray and the wall? I bet that's fun if it sticks like you know what!

O

Old Mod

Ahhhh! It might be tricky if tray is installed, which of course it is, cos u've already said so! Haha ooopsy! :D
Errrrm just trying to think how difficult it would be.
U'd probably need 10-15mm gap around tray to feed it in.
When it first goes on, it's not too sticky, u can pull it off and reposition it.
Mind u, mine had been stored outside so it was nice and cold, I'd imagine once it heats up it might be move difficult to reposition.
But I can say one thing for sure.
Once fully installed and been on a while, getting it off is very difficult.

image.jpeg

That's the mess it makes when trying to separate it from tray once it's fully cured and been in a while.

L

LM

If the shower or bath have been installed without a Classi seal or Aqua strap etc why not install a Sealux pack and then overlap the part thats against the wall with tanking tape and then tank the walls as usual. We've done this in hundreds of houses, its not as good looking as using a Classi seal but it's bullet proof if installed correctly.
I always use Classi seal or a Sealux pack in conjunction with tanking tape and paste. silicone the Classi seal to the wall, overlap that joint with a tanking tape right round in one strip, then put on your vertical strips, paste over the whole lot, it can't fail if done correctly.
Sealux have some good installation videos on they're website, but they don't show it as part one of the two part system I've suggested

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

How did you get on @Localtiler with these pre-installed trays, I'm going to look at such a job on Sunday and thinking how best to tank it.
Cheers
D

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the shower or bath have been installed without a Classi seal or Aqua strap etc why not install a Sealux pack and then overlap the part thats against the wall with tanking tape and then tank the walls as usual. We've done this in hundreds of houses, its not as good looking as using a Classi seal but it's bullet proof if installed correctly.
I always use Classi seal or a Sealux pack in conjunction with tanking tape and paste. silicone the Classi seal to the wall, overlap that joint with a tanking tape right round in one strip, then put on your vertical strips, paste over the whole lot, it can't fail if done correctly.
Sealux have some good installation videos on they're website, but they don't show it as part one of the two part system I've suggested[/QUOT
Hi @LEE MAC, do have a link to these seallux kits, Thanks D

F

Flintstone

How did you get on @Localtiler with these pre-installed trays, I'm going to look at such a job on Sunday and thinking how best to tank it.
Cheers
D

I haven't done it yet, I'm due to start Friday or Monday.
I'm gonna either tank the wall and brush down the side of the tray and then silicone the tray to the wall, or Ile have a look at over lap the tanking tape onto the tray a bit as well.

Reply to Tanking Down To Shower Tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks