Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hillhead

I tiled a bathroom early last week and was meant to brick it, every tile bowed so i said no.
I tiled it 600 wide, 300 high in straight lines with a nice border too and no probs.
Your tiles must have been damn bad !
Any pics?

O

One Day

Ever noticed how porcelanosa insist from a design point of view that their wall tiles are fixed straight?
And by and large they are pretty damn perfect.

I've seen a touch of bowing on the long floor planks and then they ask that they are only ever 1/4 or 1/3 bond.

I always try and convince my customers that brick bond is "so last year darling!"

S

Stef

think someone from that big DIY place should start looking at some of the tiles they are selling, i have been shocked at some of the tiles we have been asked to fix. we tell people if you get tiles from there then our price will be more expensive. Its a tough call this 1, states on the boxes that its the fixers responsibility to check tiles before fixing, good luck hope it works out in your favour.

O

One Day

The surprising thing is though, that the tiles sold by the DIY sheds are well withing permissable tolerances to qualify for the EN and BS ratings.
The tolerances are crazy.

S

Stef

Impish i never knew porcelanosa insisted that about their tiles, porcalenosa are almost always bang on, the biggest we have fixed was a 1000 x 316 ceramic wall tile, cant remember the tile name, we fixed them straight bond but they could have been fixed brick bond easily.

O

One Day

Aye Robson, that's my point!
Their tiles are the best and most accurate I work with and they insist that they are fixed straight.
They look better for it too.

S

Stef

yeah i will agree with you on that one. Porcelanosa for me. i went right off brick bond start of this year as thats all we seemed to do for about 3 or 4 years. we have used a tile from china, cant remember the name, came from (guangdong province) & they were perfect. 600x300's think they were from tile giant, when i saw them i thought they were going to be crap.

O

One Day

Yup, I've worked with some large format rectified chinese ceramics, white bodies. I think they were made by Winter-something-or-other.
In any case, they were bang on. Managed to wet cut a millimeter sliver all the way down the length!

S

Spud

when using bowed tiles the convention is to measure the bow in the tile and add this to your standard joint width so if the bow is 1,5mm then you add this to the spacing size, but I couldnt imagine fitting wall tiles with such large joints, lets face it some tiles are not fit for purpose and years ago they would be classed as "seconds"

M

Mike

Yup, I've worked with some large format rectified chinese ceramics, white bodies. I think they were made by Winter-something-or-other.
In any case, they were bang on. Managed to wet cut a millimeter sliver all the way down the length!
i used the same ones i think, winto they were called, around 600 by 400. nice tiles to cut and fit.

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen